Quantcast
Sharpening Serrated Edges - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Serrated Edges

DMT makes a tapered rod that folds into butterfly type handles that i use on my pocket knives that have "teeth" but i dont know what grits they come in and im not sure how well they work on kitchen knives

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    DMT makes a tapered rod that folds into butterfly type handles that i use on my pocket knives that have "teeth" but i dont know what grits they come in and im not sure how well they work on kitchen knives
    +1. That rod is tapered and thus wld be useful for quite a few diff sizes of serrated edges.

http://www.dmtsharp.com/sharpeners/f...fold-serrated/

IF it is a sharp V serration, I think a jewelers file wld be handy

Hv fun

D

The soft wood trick really takes out the burr and leaves an edge? I understand the principle but this goes against everything I have ever learned...haha. Would a felt deburring block work just as well or should I do the wood a few passes first? Would a flat pass on a 500 stone remove it or would it just flip it back over? I use my Tojiro so much the rounded tips are folded over. It's time I do something about my knife but I'm a little scared.

My system is even more low tech: a piece of 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around a sharpie, followed by a flat pass over a strop to deburr. For finer serrations, a Bic stic or a round pencil might be better. Lots of small round sticks in my desk drawer.

;- )

Edge leading or trailing?

Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by sharp knfing View Post
    Edge leading or trailing?

Douglas
    Hmnn.. I prefer to let the Knife be stationary adn move the file/ rod. I wld either secure it on a vice or place it flat on a glass top.

I always prefer to cut the burr/ fold as opposed to unfolding it.

Rgds
    d

I'm with you on that.
    Was wondering if it's better to draw the dowel/sandpaper into or away from the edge.

Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by sharp knfing View Post
    I'm with you on that.
    Was wondering if it's better to draw the dowel/sandpaper into or away from the edge.

Douglas

I doubt that it matters from the perspective of edge quality but it's a lot easier to go away from the edge since you can use the serration gully as an angle guide. I actually go back and forth in both directions so...

Anyone use a Mac/Fiskars Rollsharp on serrated edge? Endorsed by Mac to be used on their brands of serrated edges, 15 degrees both sides, takes about 5 seconds to sharpen. Cost $9.95 on Amazon.

And anyone here use the method shown by Ken Schwartz on a stone: http://youtu.be/wNOSpViFl0?t=17m

Does anyone know if these methods work on pointy tipped serrated bread knives rather than the wavy scalloped ones? I don't have a bread knife, but am looking into getting one for the occasional bread cutting, thinking of a Forschner bread knife. May look into a Mac or Tojiro bread knife in the future if I can save enough and justify with a lot of bread cutting.

Instead of an emeny cloth, can we use wet/dry sand paper ???