Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forced patina on Konosuke HD?

Forced patina on Konosuke HD?

Is it possible to force a mustard patina on a Konosuke HD? Has anyone tried it?

i've tried forcing raw meat patina - if it did do anything, it wasn't noticeable. mustard's next, but for some reason we just haven't restocked mustard in our home in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by chefofthefuture View Post
    Is it possible to force a mustard patina on a Konosuke HD? Has anyone tried it?
    In several months of use, I was unable to get a natural patina on my HD. I think you're out of luck.

If it's a patina you want, ditch the HD and get a Konosuke in white #2.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

I have some natural patina which is really really ugly (it just looks like water marks on silverware). I made a thread about it before and someone else did have some luck forcing a patina on it to get rid of said watermarks.

It is possible; the TKC and HD are purportedly the same steel? I've forced a patina on my TKC with a mixture of mustard and balsamic; it takes significantly longer for the patina to get started and hold (at least an hour). It's quite a bit less distinct, but I assume this can be solved with a longer sitting time and several applications.

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    i've tried forcing raw meat patina - if it did do anything, it wasn't noticeable. mustard's next, but for some reason we just haven't restocked mustard in our home in ages.
    This is a tragedy. Every fridge should have 3-5 different mustards at a minimum at any given time.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

To those who say it can't be done ... here's my HD with what I like to call "punch card patina".

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post

To those who say it can't be done ... here's my HD with what I like to call "punch card patina".
    Paper towel?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

indeed. funny thing is that it actually turned out pretty cool-looking on that side (i only did one side) and we'll see what this does for stiction - it did feel rougher when i was drying it with a towel.

What did u use? I never have mustard...maybe ill try ketchup? Or for Asian flair siraccha haha