Forced patina on Konosuke HD?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefofthefuture

Reaction score
Is it possible to force a mustard patina on a Konosuke HD? Has anyone tried it?

i've tried forcing raw meat patina - if it did do anything, it wasn't noticeable. mustard's next, but for some reason we just haven't restocked mustard in our home in ages.

I have some natural patina which is really really ugly (it just looks like water marks on silverware). I made a thread about it before and someone else did have some luck forcing a patina on it to get rid of said watermarks.

It is possible; the TKC and HD are purportedly the same steel? I've forced a patina on my TKC with a mixture of mustard and balsamic; it takes significantly longer for the patina to get started and hold (at least an hour). It's quite a bit less distinct, but I assume this can be solved with a longer sitting time and several applications.

i've tried forcing raw meat patina - if it did do anything, it wasn't noticeable. mustard's next, but for some reason we just haven't restocked mustard in our home in ages.

This is a tragedy. Every fridge should have 3-5 different mustards at a minimum at any given time.

photo32.jpg

To those who say it can't be done ... here's my HD with what I like to call "punch card patina".

indeed. funny thing is that it actually turned out pretty cool-looking on that side (i only did one side) and we'll see what this does for stiction - it did feel rougher when i was drying it with a towel.

What did u use? I never have mustard...maybe ill try ketchup? Or for Asian flair siraccha haha

Well, you can't just use any condiment in substitution for mustard, it's the vinegar/acid content that is key here. You might be able to doctor something with extra vinegar, give it a shot.

You might try a ferric chloride/water or ferric chloride/vinegar solution. FC should be available at Radio Shack. It is nasty, nasty, nasty stuff, so be sure and use it outside, far away from anything that could rust. Ask me how I know...

Why? Appearance? There would be no functional reason I can think of. But the b lue luster of the hd polished is spectacular.

Why? Appearance? There would be no functional reason I can think of. But the b lue luster of the hd polished is spectacular.
that's why i kept one side un-patina'd.

i waited about an hour with the balsamic on. i panicked briefly because when i first took off the towel, it looked like rust ... but then i realized that balsamic is brown ... i ran it under the sink and voila, no more brown. *whew*

i'll let you guys know if punch-card-patina affects stiction.

I've been using an HD daily for some time now. At first I experienced the "waterspots" that are notoriously ugly. Now, it has a really nice patina, but is much different than a carbon patina; the rainbow hues aren't as evident.

Latest posts

Back