Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tossing out an idea

tossing out an idea

for a while, i've been trying to figure out how to do some more group oriented sharpening and knife skills classes. Last night i had a great idea and i thought i'd run it by you guys and see what you think.

I was going to do Skype group video calls once a week focused on specific sharpening or knife skills subjects. 1 hour "lessons" for maybe $10. The class size would be limited to about 5-6 people. The video would be HD (720p) and I would be able to demonstrate techniques in real time from various angles while answering questions.

What do you guys think? Worthwhile? Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

I guess it would require you to have skype, but thats about it. If you have video, thats a plus, but not 100% necessary.

Anyways, i was hoping to hear what you guys think about this as a plan.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Sounds like a great idea to me, sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Sounds like a great idea to me, sign me up.
    me too....depending on the time of day.

Ok... i just picked up everything i need for this (should be here on friday). I'm thinking to really get this started in Jan, but i may do a couple of "test" nights before then.

I was thinking sundays, but what works best for you guys? On sundays, i generally stay at work long after closing, so i can maybe take an hour or so of my time then.

Sounds excellent, would be really interested to take part, if time difference with UK wasn't prohibitive

That sounds like a great idea. I would take part, schedule permitting.

Lets tentatively schedule the first official one for jan 8th 2012 at 5:10 pm PST (not 5pm because i need a couple of minutes to close the store and get setup first). I'll say 1 hour, but it may go over or under a bit. So, if you're interested, shoot me an e-mail and we can work out the details- Jon@japaneseknifeimports.com

Any topics of interest? I was thinking to do a talk on hamaguri edges (something i've been getting a lot of questions about lately)... both single and double bevel knives.

I am sure its possible, I have just never tried, but can you do conferencing with Skype?

just paid for the ability... skype premium

only one person in the group needs to have it... so you can just use regular skype

but i'm going to test it out this weekend

Sounds like a great idea. If these classes were to be at 5ish PST that's about 1am UK time isn't it so that ain't too late