Japanese Knives tossing out an idea

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
for a while, i've been trying to figure out how to do some more group oriented sharpening and knife skills classes. Last night i had a great idea and i thought i'd run it by you guys and see what you think.

I was going to do Skype group video calls once a week focused on specific sharpening or knife skills subjects. 1 hour "lessons" for maybe $10. The class size would be limited to about 5-6 people. The video would be HD (720p) and I would be able to demonstrate techniques in real time from various angles while answering questions.

What do you guys think? Worthwhile? Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

I guess it would require you to have skype, but thats about it. If you have video, thats a plus, but not 100% necessary.

Anyways, i was hoping to hear what you guys think about this as a plan.

Sounds like a great idea to me, sign me up.

Ok... i just picked up everything i need for this (should be here on friday). I'm thinking to really get this started in Jan, but i may do a couple of "test" nights before then.

I was thinking sundays, but what works best for you guys? On sundays, i generally stay at work long after closing, so i can maybe take an hour or so of my time then.

Sounds excellent, would be really interested to take part, if time difference with UK wasn't prohibitive

That sounds like a great idea. I would take part, schedule permitting.

Lets tentatively schedule the first official one for jan 8th 2012 at 5:10 pm PST (not 5pm because i need a couple of minutes to close the store and get setup first). I'll say 1 hour, but it may go over or under a bit. So, if you're interested, shoot me an e-mail and we can work out the details- [email protected]

Any topics of interest? I was thinking to do a talk on hamaguri edges (something i've been getting a lot of questions about lately)... both single and double bevel knives.

I am sure its possible, I have just never tried, but can you do conferencing with Skype?

just paid for the ability... skype premium

only one person in the group needs to have it... so you can just use regular skype

but i'm going to test it out this weekend

Sounds like a great idea. If these classes were to be at 5ish PST that's about 1am UK time isn't it so that ain't too late

I like it. I think you should actually do a course schedule (single bevel, heiji, natural stones, double bevel etc.) and schedule it far enough in advance. Take a cue from some of those kitchen stores that do cooking classes. Just my 2 cents.

k.

Are these going to be more PG than your last webcam business Jon?

:D

i dont know... you know what they say about old habits and what not

i like the schedule idea... i'll try to put something together

Great idea, Jon! I don't have skype, but I think you're onto something with this one.

Great idea, Jon! I don't have skype, but I think you're onto something with this one.

Skype is free and pretty easy to download. You wouldn't even need a microphone or video camera, so if you are on the forums you should be able to take part.

I'm interested but would have to be on a weekly "drop in" schedule as my schedule changes weekly. Of course, this probably won't work well with a small limit of seats available. Just curious, why the max people? Is it because only so many people are allowed in a room? Or to allow people time to ask questions?

i can do up to 10 at a time with the system i paid for, but really the more people, the slower everything goes. Also, the more people there are, the more chance there is of people talking over one and other. If it really works out and becomes popular, i can always do more times.

so, i need a couple of people willing to help me test out this new setup... there are 2 different systems i want to try to use. If you're interested in helping me test this out, i would greatly appreciate it. Anyways, shoot me an e-mail or PM if you're willing to help me out. Thanks.

-Jon

Back