Quantcast
How do you decide on a custom knife? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you decide on a custom knife?

My answer in short: talk to them directly! Check out their work here, and then contact the ones you like. It's a custom knife, they will do it just how you like!

There is no comparison, a custom knife is probably not the way to go if performance is your main goal.

If beauty and pride of ownership is important then custom is the only way to go.

Custom knives are some of the best value things in the world

Alan

I'm not sure I understand that last one. The customs I've used(except for one) have all been solidly ahead of the pack, performance-wise.

I was going to say that properly made customs and expensive J knives are or should be made to almost a cost/labor time no object standard and not a price point like their more affordable cousins, so the performance should be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I'm not sure I understand that last one. The customs I've used(except for one) have all been solidly ahead of the pack, performance-wise.

The performance compared to price argument always makes me a little bit torn. Of all of the knives I've used, my favourite is my only custom. It honestly does cut as well as, or slightly better than my favourite "stock knives" made by Carter. Without going into details about price, the bit of extra cash I spent on it is more than justified by performance, quality and beauty. To be honest, I'd pay what I did again and again to get a knife like I did.
    It's when you get into the 10x the price for a custom market that I wonder how much a one of a kind is worth. Luckily, I'm too cheap to have to worry about that one.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    My only point was that if you have a limited budget then typically for say $300 you can get better performance from a stock knife than a custom. I was not implying that customs always have lower performance.

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    My only point was that if you have a limited budget then typically for say $300 you can get better performance from a stock knife than a custom. I was not implying that customs always have lower performance.
    I see what you're saying, but I think a more accurate way of explaining it would be that you could get better performance at a smaller size in a custom, for the same price as a bigger stock knife.
    As a home cook, I'd take a 210 suji or a 185 gyuto from Pierre, Carter or Marko (by the pics and reputation) over a 240 gyuto by Shigefusa, Nenox, Hattori, etc. The only exception, from my experience might be Konosuke. However, this is why I love the idea of "Mid-Techs". I'll be getting a pro series Rodrigue for about the same price as a Kono, and I know the performance will be great, as will the "uniqueness" of the knife.
    By the way, I've already put my name in for a pro series, so I think that's proof, should you need it.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Most makers like to thing their knives are better than factorymade knives, however I suspect this to be not true. There are few makers out there that makes knives that will outpreform Masamoto KS or other great knives. This forum got 2 makers that are active here on the forum that will make better knives, and their pricing starts on 2000 USD for a knife and have waitinglist for over a year....

Are you willing to pay that amount of money on a knife?
    I am, but then again Im a homechef and Im not afraid that anyone else than me and my GF will use em, Im not afraid of them being stolen or lost at work

I would say you should get a custom,lots of good makers to choose from.As far as performance goes there is a lot of BS'in,the money you are spending is on fit and finish.You will get a great performing knife but a $1500 custom is not going to cut 7x better then my $200 TKC.So if you have the cash order yourself a bada$$ custom and love it any time it hits the board,

I know that my new Carbonext gyuto and Hattori FH are not top of the line J knives, but there are a couple of things about them that would not be acceptable to the folks on here on pretty much any custom knife, even a reasonably priced one. They do not have rounded or even beveled/chamfered choils or spines and there is an uncorrected divet on both of them on the spine right in front of the bolsters. I would guess that this came from shaping the handle, but for $125-250 retail, they have to move pretty quickly on the line. i guess that my point is that with any custom, you should expect a fair bit more hand work and attention to detail.

+ Reply to Thread