No edge reached - still burr

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benuser

from The Netherlands, EU.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I've thinned somewhat my Hiromoto AS, or, to be more precise, removed some soft clad from the flat left side blade. I used a medium grade of sandpaper at 1 or 2 degree inclination on a flat hard surface too limit convexing. I didn't reach the very edge and could verify with the scratch pattern. Still, I found a small burr at the opposite side along the whole - core - edge. Does this sounds familiar or does anyone could explain?

It means you were hitting the edge son, at least thats the only sane explanation I can think of.

Maybe sanding magnetised the blade and the 'burr' was the metal filings clinging to it? All I can think if you didn't hit the edge

I've had this happen, but only when I was really tired. So either it's a mistake gone awry, or it's a rare hallucination.

Yeah I don't know what it really is. But twice in the past year, I've been sharpening a knife(both times when I was setting a new bevel), and been like "ok there's the burr....but, wait, it's over here too....:scratchhead:"

Back