Quantcast
Stainless Yanagi, a little "heft", ~ $300, suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless Yanagi, a little "heft", ~ $300, suggestions?

Stainless Yanagi, a little "heft", ~ $300, suggestions?

Friend wants to replace a yanagi and asked me to look up some recommendations. He wants stainless, 300mm, and around $300. He said he liked his old one a lot because it was a bit heavy...now I'm not sure exactly how heavy that is but just thought i'd mention it and see if it makes a difference in recommendations.

For that price point, I probably will try Suisin Ginsanko. Aframe does have a Monzaburo Ginsako that looks quite nice.

This is going to sound awful, but given what your friend is asking for, a Shun yanagi certainly fits the bill. Stainless steel with a lot of heft. Not a good yanagi from my viewpoint but it certainly ticks all the boxes from what your friend is asking for...

Hi all...let's say I can up it to $400 budget....any help please?

Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I've only seen in person one really nice stainless yanagiba that can be had at that size: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-yanagiba.html. I don't know about heft though. It seemed plenty heavy to me but they all seem that way, to be honest. A long time ago, I handled a shorter MAC stainless yanagiba, iirc but I can't honestly attest to the quality.

I used to have the MAC and it does not really have any heft, quality was not great

I replaced it with a Suisin which blows it away in every aspect

Forging stainless is very different from forging carbon steels, so finding a quality yanagiba in stainless is going to require the maker to specialize and learn by experience, which costs a lot of money.

Why's it gotta be stainless? If anything can be ultra-reactive and finicky, it's a yanagiba--it's used for cutting raw fish meat, not onions, oranges, or cabbage.

Sharpening a stainless Yanagiba sounds like a

Sponsors
    its not so bad, but it depends on the maker... there are some really cheap ones "sushi chefs" here use from time to time... i hate sharpening those

Gotta talk him outta the stainless. A whole slew of much better options opens up. Slice a couple raw proteins and develop a patina and you are good to go. Just keep it clean and dry after use. You do that with stainless knives anyway right?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/