Any tricks for peeling pearl onions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Founding Member
Reaction score
I am looking at 12lbs of pearl onions- any tips on peeling them whole?

I take the ends off with a parer and the a tiny slit vertically. And pop the outer layer off with my thumb. It's more pleasant with a drink or a joint in you first. Allegedly. Once you do a few dozen your speed will really pick up.

Cut the ends off, give them a rub with a dish towel or nonslip mat to take off any loose paper. Coat em in extra virgin, salt and pepper, roast em in a 400* oven for 10 minutes until they get some color. Remaining skin will be crispy and easily removed.

Next time, when you go to restaurant depot for your prime rib, get the gallon jug of peeled pearl onions as well.

I am looking at 12lbs of pearl onions- any tips on peeling them whole?

You poor man. I've parboiled them for a minute and then placed them into an ice bath. Trim off the root end, squeeze the onion from the top and they should pop right out from the outer layer.

Well, the deed is done. Vac bagged with an man killing amount of butter ready to be poached and creamed.

Next time, when you go to restaurant depot for your prime rib, get the gallon jug of peeled pearl onions as well.

I knew there must be a better way!

Back