Media TK Sharp, part 2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyChance

Founding Member
Reaction score
Salty posted a video before about a knife TK59 sharpened for him.

TK sent me a Devin Thomas PM San Mai gyuto to try out. After an hour or so of cutting stuff at work, I diced some apples. I did not put them in water or put any lemon juice on them. At the end of my shift, they were still white and pristine. I put them in a quart container and saved them for the next day. Here they are more than 24 hours later:

apples.jpg

They actually look more oxidized than they were. These are in a ninth pan with my crummy Blackberry camera, so the colors aren't super accurate.

TK says it's my technique, I say it's his edge, perhaps it is both.

Were they Honeycrisp apples? I find they can go days without turning colors whereas a Granny Smith is almost instant browning.

-AJ

That's pretty impressive. Any guess as to what techniques might help to prevent apples from browning?

Were they Honeycrisp apples? I find they can go days without turning colors whereas a Granny Smith is almost instant browning.

-AJ

Gala if I remember correctly. I cut them basically every day before service, even with other sharp knives they get browner than the above picture in less than 30 minutes.

That's pretty impressive. Any guess as to what techniques might help to prevent apples from browning?

Just smooth clean slices I would imagine. The less tearing you do to the cells/fibers of the apple, the less oxidation you seem to get. Bite a chunk out of one half of an apple, cut a slice off the other side and see how much faster the bit side browns.

The lemon farmers of America are going to be really pissed at you!!!:D

Latest posts

Back