Edge ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
As mentioned I received my 2nd new Carter today. As with my first one - the funa - the edge is razor sharp. When studying Mr. Carters edge I only see a edge which is around 0,5 milimeter = hairfine.

When I see other guys sharpen I have noticed that their edges are way bigger, maybe 2-3 milimeters.

How do you prefer to sharpen your edge? Are bigger edges a sign of lacking skills?

Yes that makes sense. But unless you want to thin the secondary edge there's no reason to make the bevel that wide - maybe most of the knifes I have seen sharpened have been thinned???

I imagine that yes some thinning has been done, but necessarily so. In order to hit the edge at a very acute angle sometimes it is require to move a certain amount of metal behind the edge so that you can actually hit the edge at that angle. Results are as Tiger has said a wider than usual bevel.

I imagine that yes some thinning has been done, but necessarily so. In order to hit the edge at a very acute angle sometimes it is require to move a certain amount of metal behind the edge so that you can actually hit the edge at that angle. Results are as Tiger has said a wider than usual bevel.

That was exactly my point. I got the deba which is not thin behind the edge. Still Carter manage to put a tiny (double) bevel on it without hitting the secondary edge - and it's razor sharp. So lack of skills could be an issue I guess.

It is going to depend on the knife's geometry to how the bevels will look to get similar cutting performance. My Yoshikanes are thicker knives, but taper so quickly down to extremely thin behind the edge, so with these knives, I only need to put a small little bevel/micro to have a superb cutting edge.

Other knives are not ground like this, so they require a more acute angle and thinning out behind the edge. Even my overall thin knives, like Konosuke, usually have larger bevels on them:
vn0c9f.jpg

It is going to depend on the knife's geometry to how the bevels will look to get similar cutting performance. My Yoshikanes are thicker knives, but taper so quickly down to extremely thin behind the edge, so with these knives, I only need to put a small little bevel/micro to have a superb cutting edge.

Other knives are not ground like this, so they require a more acute angle and thinning out behind the edge. Even my overall thin knives, like Konosuke, usually have larger bevels on them:
vn0c9f.jpg

Nice work :D

So ... as a sharpening newbie I was lucky enough to put a 0.5 milimeter bevel on my funa - tried to replicate Carters edge which were on the funa and deba when received. Now I just need to get back to work to test it out for real (cuts thru paper, shaves etc. without any problems). What are you guys experienses with smaller bevels - is the edgeretention better or?

The width of bevel will depend on an angle the knife is sharpened at and on initial edge thickness. Some makers (including Carter) grind to under .005" (.12mm) before putting a bevel on it, some stop at .012-.016 (~.3mm). I like narrow bevels, but sooner or later you will remove enough material from the edge, so you will have to thin the edge to restore those narrow bevels.

The width of bevel will depend on an angle the knife is sharpened at and on initial edge thickness. Some makers (including Carter) grind to under .005" (.12mm) before putting a bevel on it, some stop at .012-.016 (~.3mm). I like narrow bevels, but sooner or later you will remove enough material from the edge, so you will have to thin the edge to restore those narrow bevels.

I get your point M ... and will enjoy playing around with that issue - some time in the future.

Back