Quantcast
Work in Progess - Page 14
Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Work in Progess

O.k., how do I know whether I have the real lignum vitae or the Argentine vera wood? I have bought l.v. twice, and both times the sellers swore it's the real stuff. But what do I know... This is a handle I made from it a while ago from the stash I have. Just made another one that looks very similar. The do produce an oily, yellowish 'dust' when you drill them. I was hesitating to use them, but I have had them for years and don;t think they could get much drier than that.

Now, I picked up a few pieces from Woodcraft a few weeks ago that supposedly were Argentine l.v., and they were clearly oxidized and bright green on the outside. Haven't sanded them, yet, so I don't know what the inside will look like. But if anybody knows how to reliably tell them apart, please let me know.

Stefan

That does not look at all like the verawood that I have. I have an antique lignum mallet that, while beat to heck, would look like that if it wasn't. If the specific gravity is over 1.3 I would say it is Lignum.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    That does not look at all like the verawood that I have. I have an antique lignum mallet that, while beat to heck, would look like that if it wasn't. If the specific gravity is over 1.3 I would say it is Lignum.
    I think LV turns green over time. Wait and see.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Stefan, I LOVE that handle. Simple, elegant and the spacer works perfectly.
    I know this isn't your thread, but Marko can share for work like that
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Yes, that is a fantastic looking handle. My style for sure.

M

Thanks, but I really did not want to hijack this thread, just got curiois about the lignum vitae.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Thanks, but I really did not want to hijack this thread, just got curiois about the lignum vitae.

Stefan
    I am going to ask you to send me a block of same LN as a compensation.

09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Real lignum is probably like the "real" Cuban mahogany that was used to make those million dollar plus antique Chippendale tables. You haven't been able to cut either legally in the US for decades and if you find old growth stuff, it would probably be outrageously priced assuming the seller knew what they had. The Argentine stuff, like Honduran mahogany vs. Cuban, is in the same family as the real stuff.