Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 453

Thread: Work in Progess

  1. #141

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    1,296
    That looks good whatever it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    O.k., how do I know whether I have the real lignum vitae or the Argentine vera wood? I have bought l.v. twice, and both times the sellers swore it's the real stuff. But what do I know... This is a handle I made from it a while ago from the stash I have. Just made another one that looks very similar. The do produce an oily, yellowish 'dust' when you drill them. I was hesitating to use them, but I have had them for years and don;t think they could get much drier than that.



    Now, I picked up a few pieces from Woodcraft a few weeks ago that supposedly were Argentine l.v., and they were clearly oxidized and bright green on the outside. Haven't sanded them, yet, so I don't know what the inside will look like. But if anybody knows how to reliably tell them apart, please let me know.

    Stefan

  2. #142

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    1,296
    That looks good whatever it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    O.k., how do I know whether I have the real lignum vitae or the Argentine vera wood? I have bought l.v. twice, and both times the sellers swore it's the real stuff. But what do I know... This is a handle I made from it a while ago from the stash I have. Just made another one that looks very similar. The do produce an oily, yellowish 'dust' when you drill them. I was hesitating to use them, but I have had them for years and don;t think they could get much drier than that.



    Now, I picked up a few pieces from Woodcraft a few weeks ago that supposedly were Argentine l.v., and they were clearly oxidized and bright green on the outside. Haven't sanded them, yet, so I don't know what the inside will look like. But if anybody knows how to reliably tell them apart, please let me know.

    Stefan

  3. #143

    Two More Handles Finished

    Will be finishing two more tomorrow (Craig and Matt hang tight).

    Arizona Desert Ironwood, Ebony, buffalo and cow horn, N/S spacers. Handles are friction mounted, so they can be removed for blade re-etching or polishing.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1826.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	1673

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1827.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	1674

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1828.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	1675

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1829.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	1676

  4. #144

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    1,339
    WOW!! I really need more practice. Beautiful Marko

  5. #145
    Hard to pick a favorite there.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

  6. #146
    The ironwood and cow(?) horn one is crazy nice, not that the other isn't killer as well but damn that ironwood/cow horn combo is really crazy nice....wait I already said that.

    What knife is that?

  7. #147
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    The ironwood and cow(?) horn one is crazy nice, not that the other isn't killer as well but damn that ironwood/cow horn combo is really crazy nice....wait I already said that.

    What knife is that?
    It's one of the last two Marukoyoshi I got. I didn't think the combination of ironwood/cow horn was a good choice, but I took it back as soon as I started shaping the handle.

    M


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  8. #148

    ecchef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the Village.
    Posts
    3,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It's one of the last two Marukoyoshi I got. I didn't think the combination of ironwood/cow horn was a good choice...M
    Yeah, you're right...it sucks. Send it to me; I'll throw it in the ocean so no one ever has to see it.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

  9. #149
    Das HandleMeister apicius9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    3,380
    Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Yeah, you're right...it sucks. Send it to me; I'll throw it in the ocean so no one ever has to see it.
    Please throw it really far and toward the east

    Stefan

  10. #150
    Canada's Sharpest Lefty Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,214
    Hey. I want to throw it out or him!
    I have two great lakes right here to toss it into...
    I'll throw the other one in too, if you'd like.
    09/06

    Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

    Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •