Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Work in Progess

That looks good whatever it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    O.k., how do I know whether I have the real lignum vitae or the Argentine vera wood? I have bought l.v. twice, and both times the sellers swore it's the real stuff. But what do I know... This is a handle I made from it a while ago from the stash I have. Just made another one that looks very similar. The do produce an oily, yellowish 'dust' when you drill them. I was hesitating to use them, but I have had them for years and don;t think they could get much drier than that.

Now, I picked up a few pieces from Woodcraft a few weeks ago that supposedly were Argentine l.v., and they were clearly oxidized and bright green on the outside. Haven't sanded them, yet, so I don't know what the inside will look like. But if anybody knows how to reliably tell them apart, please let me know.

Stefan

That looks good whatever it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    O.k., how do I know whether I have the real lignum vitae or the Argentine vera wood? I have bought l.v. twice, and both times the sellers swore it's the real stuff. But what do I know... This is a handle I made from it a while ago from the stash I have. Just made another one that looks very similar. The do produce an oily, yellowish 'dust' when you drill them. I was hesitating to use them, but I have had them for years and don;t think they could get much drier than that.

Now, I picked up a few pieces from Woodcraft a few weeks ago that supposedly were Argentine l.v., and they were clearly oxidized and bright green on the outside. Haven't sanded them, yet, so I don't know what the inside will look like. But if anybody knows how to reliably tell them apart, please let me know.

Stefan

Two More Handles Finished

Will be finishing two more tomorrow (Craig and Matt hang tight).

Arizona Desert Ironwood, Ebony, buffalo and cow horn, N/S spacers. Handles are friction mounted, so they can be removed for blade re-etching or polishing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1826.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	1673

Name:	DSC_1827.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	1674

Name:	DSC_1828.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	1675

Name:	DSC_1829.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	1676

WOW!! I really need more practice. Beautiful Marko

Hard to pick a favorite there.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

The ironwood and cow(?) horn one is crazy nice, not that the other isn't killer as well but damn that ironwood/cow horn combo is really crazy nice....wait I already said that.

What knife is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    The ironwood and cow(?) horn one is crazy nice, not that the other isn't killer as well but damn that ironwood/cow horn combo is really crazy nice....wait I already said that.

What knife is that?
    It's one of the last two Marukoyoshi I got. I didn't think the combination of ironwood/cow horn was a good choice, but I took it back as soon as I started shaping the handle.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It's one of the last two Marukoyoshi I got. I didn't think the combination of ironwood/cow horn was a good choice...M
    Yeah, you're right...it sucks. Send it to me; I'll throw it in the ocean so no one ever has to see it.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Yeah, you're right...it sucks. Send it to me; I'll throw it in the ocean so no one ever has to see it.
    Please throw it really far and toward the east

Stefan

Hey. I want to throw it out or him!
    I have two great lakes right here to toss it into...
    I'll throw the other one in too, if you'd like.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com