Quantcast
Work in Progess - Page 18
Page 18 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Work in Progess

There are a couple of marks on the handle of the Gyuto, maybe 1/5th of the way up. Are those just natural variations in the wood, or the light playing tricks, or what?

They might be small pits that are very common on desert ironwood.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Lignum Vitae Guaiacum officinale:
    Origin: All of the central Americas, from southern Florida to Venezuela. The name sometimes refers to three species of trees, all called Lignum Vitae (The wood of life), whose resin was believed to cure illnesses. The wood is greenish black, mostly straight grained, and incredibly dense, heavy, hard, and tough. It's known as the hardest, heaviest wood in the world. It's three times as hard as oak. Its density is almost equal to iron, an it withstands a working pressure of 2000 psi! A full one third of its weight is comprised of gum, so it's used in mechanical devices such as bearings, and is resistant to most chemicals and decay. As you can probably guess, it will outlast all other woods in knife handles, and many manmade materials. Bearings have been made of Lignum Vitae and used in clocks, fans, air conditioners, underwater marine equipment, and hydroelectric plants. It's been used as thrust blocks, cable guides, wheels, and propeller shafts for ocean liners. The ornamental uses are as sculpture and turnings. As you can imagine, it makes an almost indestructible knife handle.

http://www.jayfisher.com/Handles_Kni...m#Lignum_Vitae

Hey Marko,

I haven't had a chance to follow all the progress of everyone here as business and personal agenda taking up a lot of time ... but I just wanted to make a quick post here. I have said the same thing Dave and others have said that I can always tell your work at a glance. You really do make some of the cleanest, simply beautiful handles and sayas out. No frills or gimmicks, just beautiful work. And your photography is second to none, either that or your work is even better than I can imagine from pics. You remain on top of my list for custom work I would like to purchase. Keep up the great work my friend.

Kind Regards
    Bryan

Thanks Bryan, it's very flattering.

In case anyone had any doubts, it was well worth the wait. I'm glad I got in on one of these while they were still available.

Some old custom work orders done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0151.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	2304

Name:	DSC_0152.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	2305

Name:	DSC_0155.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	2306

Name:	DSC_0157.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	2307

Name:	DSC_0158.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	2308

Name:	DSC_0156.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	2309

Next - Bao, Darwin, Robert, Rick.

M

Ooooh! Custom made Marko canoe paddle!! Oh wait, that's a cleaver saya.

I think the second Ironwood handle came out even better than the first! And that is saying a lot, because that first one was amazing.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Close-up shots of my most recent handle

Name:	DSC_0402.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	5820

Name:	DSC_0401.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	5819

Name:	DSC_0405.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	5818

Name:	DSC_0402(1).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	5821

Yer gettin' pretty good at those!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig