Quantcast
Work in Progess
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Work in Progess

Work in Progess

Haven't done WIP in pictures in a while.
    Working on a number of handles and one cutting board this week. Pics to follow.

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Haven't done WIP in pictures in a while.
    Working on a number of handles and one cutting board this week. Pics to follow.
    I wouldn't mind seeing a WIP pic of that cutting board.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing a WIP pic of that cutting board.
    I don't usually have a camera in the shop and besides, once I start working, I don't stop until I am done with what I set out to do. I usually take pictures at home, but these are snapshots of a multi-step process.

Wood: Ebony, Lignum Vitae, Cocobolo, Arizona Desert Ironwood, Redwood Burl with buffalo horn and nickel silver spacer. Mortise and tenon construction.

These handles are still work in progress, as I only finished them to 220 grit. I usually bring handles all the way to 1500-2000 grit depending on wood.

After I finish them to 220 grit, I let them rest at home in a dryer environment for a couple of days, so wood and horn shrink a little bit, and then I sand the spacer flat and go on to finishing and installation.

All handles with exception of ebony are for 270mm Shigefusa gyuto. I must admit that making multiple of same size handle is much easier than all different size handles. Still learning and improving. Five down, twenty more to go.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Oohhh perdyyy. Which one is the lignum vitae?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Oohhh perdyyy. Which one is the lignum vitae?
    The one at approximately 12 o'clock. After it is exposed to air for some time, it will turn green.

Fantastic wood to work with. Has a wonderful smell and polished great. Doesn't have much grain figure, but otherwise, I love to work it. I will be stocking up on it soon.

M

-Niels Bohr

Very cool! Yeah, I read that it was machined and used in mechanical applications like block&tackle before the advent of plastics, so it makes sense that it would have dense, even/less figured grain. Thanks for the pictures! I can't wait to see it all finished up and on the blade.

Marko,
    I love the work in progress pics, I can't wait to send you a knife for rehandling.

Hot damn.

Marko,

Thanks for the WIP photos. They are great! Once again, some beautiful handles you have there.

-Chuck

First Batch Completed

Pictures of completed work.

-Niels Bohr

+ Reply to Thread