Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Work in Progess

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    Mystery carbon is actually easier to finish than some of the other super wear resistant steels that I use.
    Sounds like you're calling Marko a wuss.

Quote Originally Posted by markenki View Post
    Sounds like you're calling Marko a wuss.
    I thought so too.

I am almost done. Finish is not as nice on my 52100, but better than on most Japanese knives.

I hate when it takes me so long to do things, but I always learn something new, so in this sense, it is easier to swallow.

This knife will go for sale, as I can't justify keeping it. I don't know if I will use this steel again.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

How does Devin suggest finishing the steel Marko?

Using silicone carbide polishing stones, if done by hand.
    I happen to have some, but resulting finish is a bit coarser than on less wear resistant steels that I finish with automotive paper.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

255mm gyuto in 52100 w/ walnut saya

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0555.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	17124

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0554.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	17125

I know I've said it before but your blades are just awesome but the handles are perfect, to me that kramer-notch on the right side is so comfortable and my preferred handle.

Thank you

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    I know I've said it before but your blades are just awesome but the handles are perfect, to me that kramer-notch on the right side is so comfortable and my preferred handle.
    By Kramer notch, do you mean the ridge that runs along the right side of the handle (on right-handed knives)? If so, credit for that should go to traditional Japanese D-shaped handles (like you find on Shigefusas, for example), rather than to Kramer, no?

Marko,

Maybe you need the Hoss diet to get some girth to put some Oooummph into your sharpening. Just sayin maybe Paleo isn't the way to go.

Really I did not know that. Could you show me an example Mark?

Quote Originally Posted by markenki View Post
    By Kramer notch, do you mean the ridge that runs along the right side of the handle (on right-handed knives)? If so, credit for that should go to traditional Japanese D-shaped handles (like you find on Shigefusas, for example), rather than to Kramer, no?