Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Very Special Shigefusa Project - High-End Clothes - WIP

A Very Special Shigefusa Project - High-End Clothes - WIP

I have this very special knife from a customer for a saya and handle upgrade. I have seen many Shige yanagi, but this one stands above them all. I think I have seen only one that came close. Tall and massive, would be the words to describe it.

So, I am thinking of making a saya for it that is only seen with 2K+ knives. Typically it's ebony, with a chamfered spine, groves and dots on the front side, angled tip, and finger recesses (no pin). I have done a simple version of it, but not in a tropical hard wood.

So this is a project I started. Wood is cocobolo, for both the saya and the handle.

I resawn the wood for the saya, and let it rest for a over a week. This is done to let the tension of the grain to normalize. My next step is carving. This is pretty lengthy and meticulous process, as the fit on the saya has to be precise.

I will post some pics over the next couple of days

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Subscribed!

'Peg City, MB, Canada (633694, 5528676) UTM NAD83 Zone 14N
    Will love to see how this turns out

Yup!

This is the type of saya (without silver inlays) that I have in mind - Salty's Mizuno yanagi's. I think it will fit the Shigefusa well. I have always had a soft spot for Shigefusa, and this particular one is definitely worthy of this kind of upgrade.

This type doesn't use a pin, but rather internal "lock" that keeps the knife secure inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mizuno.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	30270  

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If it's not some sort of trade secret, could you give a simple explanation of how the "internal lock" works? Something like a dimple on the inside of the saya that catches on the choil?

Quote Originally Posted by larrybard View Post
    If it's not some sort of trade secret, could you give a simple explanation of how the "internal lock" works? Something like a dimple on the inside of the saya that catches on the choil?
    It's not a trade secret, of course. On the inside, one with a chisel makes a series of notches, raising wood in a way that resembles a table saw featherboard, jamming the knife between two walls once the blade is fully inserted into a saya. Wood, in contrast to other methods, doesn't scratch the blade.

M

Soooo, how about a pic of the shig for us shig fans. Pretty please.

I finally carved out some time for this project. Here are some pics.

The wood is an old growth cocobolo. Just need to confirm with the owner about the handle construction (two spacers, a wide in the front,a narrow in the back, contrasting ferrule and end cap). Once I am done with the handle, I will start on the saya. That's where the challenge lies, as I want to make it similar to the one in the picture below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160203_161940417.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	30644

Name:	IMG_20160203_170331101_HDR.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	30645

Name:	mizuno.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	30646

That's going to look great I am sure, but...looks like a sink hole of time. I just don't see how you can charge enough to make this profitable for you.