Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Work in Progess

Spalted ironwood, horn, nickel silver for 240mm gyuto

As I am getting better at symmetry and tolerance, I am still painfully slow at the production time. I apologize for the folks who have being waiting for a long time (hear me, Bao?).

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Nice work, Marko. Love that ironwood!

Rick

That wood is insane. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    That wood is insane. Great job!
    Thank you. Now if I could only pick up the speed.

Simple, just buy yourself a CNC machine, a high power laser, and a bigger computer, and there you go! Oh, and maybe some interns/apprentices!

BTW, really nice work!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Simple, just buy yourself a CNC machine, a high power laser, and a bigger computer, and there you go! Oh, and maybe some interns/apprentices!

BTW, really nice work!
    I think this is an interesting philosophical debate. Using a CNC machine or being extremely diligent will produce pieces with exact geometry and perfect symmetry. But from my point of view, that is not what I am aiming for. Of course, I want handles symmetrical and with the best fit and finish, but I sometimes like them less if they are 'too perfect'. BTW, I am the same with my blades, I have no problems if they have small idiosyncrasies as long as they are not obvious flaws or affect functionality. I guess I like the small hints that show that a piece is made by hand. And just to make sure, I am mostly talking about little things that you will have to look for, not obvious problems or sloppiness. But for example, I intentionally don't measure my handles when I make them. They are purely a product of hand-eye coordination, and when they look good and feel good to me, I declare them 'done'. Of course, there isn't a right or wrong way to do this, I just had to think about this when Marko said he is getting better with symmetry - and I don't think I have ever seen an asymmetrical one from him before.

Stefan

I am not a big fan of automated setup, otherwise I would have liked Addict.

I use tools as much as I use my hands and my head. I do some things in unconventional way, but that is how I do everything. I like symmetry and high tolerance, but things I make can't compare to cnc- made, nor do I want to. computerized setup is good for some things, but not custom work.

M

First let me be very clear that I was being facetious! I do almost all of my work with hand tools, I only resort to electrickery stuff when it is necessary to compensate for my physical limitations. (the war, you know) Working from eye to hand is what gives life to our work.
    I had to retire from the custom jewelry line just as the CNC stuff was beginning to get traction. I never could have done the work that I did with computer aided processes.
    Your output may be limited by your process, but your work speaks for itself.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Hi Rick,
    every time you see a new post in this thread, you must be wondering, if it is for your knife. Well, today is your day. Thanks for being patient. Will work on the saya shortly.

M

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1691.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	644

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1692.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	645