Marko,

It was worth the wait.

Thank you.

Rick

Nice Marko! Rick, what's the knife?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Nice Marko! Rick, what's the knife?
    It's heavily thinned and slightly modified (machi area) Watanabe kiritsuke shaped gyuto in blue steel. The knife has been polished with finger stones.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Hey Marko, earlier you posted a pin-less saya. Just curious, is that your standard method now or was that a custom option?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Hey Marko, earlier you posted a pin-less saya. Just curious, is that your standard method now or was that a custom option?
    Shigefusa spine widens from about 3.5mm over the heel to 6.5mm at the handle, so I carve a channel into the cavity sides, so it locks the spine and prevents the knife from sinking into the saya, once sharpening shortens it.

However, the fit on my end might not be a permanent fit. Humidity, dryness can make wood move and affect a fit. I think for professionals who carry knives with them, I would make the saya with a pin.

This was experimental. To be on a safe side, I will make all sayas with pins.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Gotcha. My knife bag has very tight elastics on the knife handles and with my cardboard, magnetic, etc sheaths I have to be careful I don't pull the sheath off and run my fingers along the edge. The only one I don't have this problem with is my Hiro suji that has a saya from the group buy on it. I don't just yank on the saya, but I have to help the knife out a bit before I can get a grip on the handle and pull it out.

I can make a tight fit, but one has to be careful not to contaminate the saya cavity, as dust or abrasive particles if get in a cavity can put some ugly scratches on a knife. If one has this issue, one has to use blue masking tape over something flat, like a long ruler, with an adhesive side out. Stick it into a cavity and touch the walls, to pick up the contaminant. Canned air doesn't work.

M

-Niels Bohr

Marko,

Your handles are absolutely stunning. I can't wait until it is my turn to send in my knife .

Thanks, Pete. Soon.

-Niels Bohr

Awesome handle, Marko. That might be the most handsome piece of wood I've ever seen. If you find another chunk like that, I might have to buy a knife just to have the handle.

+ Reply to Thread