Quantcast
Work in Progess - Page 29
Page 29 of 44 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Work in Progess

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Dude, you have no idea how hard it is to work this steel.
    Maybe you could use some mammoth tooth on the handle. I've heard that masochists like to work with that too.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    ha ha
    That's cold, Devin!
    You should have warned me.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

That's cold, Devin!
    You should have warned me.

M
    After all this work, the proper thing would be to keep this knife.

I wanna know the composition.......

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I wanna know the composition.......
    Composition won't change the fact that this steel is pretty impossible to hand finish polish with a high quality automotive silcarb paper. Machine finish is possible.

All in all, san mai construction, with a less wear resistant cladding would be the way to go.

This steel is similar to 52100 in terms of sharpness (as I was told) but in terms of wear resistance, well, me ranting here speaks for itself. I have never worked this wear resistant steel. Neither I want to work on another mono steel knife from this steel.

M

Dude, you have no idea how hard it is to work this steel. I don't want to ever touch it again, but I will do your honesuki in it.

PS: I have been polishing it for hours, still no end in sight.
    Well, mine is a lot smaller project so it shouldn't be too terrible I think. But what do I know??
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Well, mine is a lot smaller project so it shouldn't be too terrible I think. But what do I know??
    This steel should be polished with diamond, not silicon carbide. SilCarb just skates on it. Really frustrating.

I will try it again at some point, but for the time being, A2 is a good substitute for this steel. It has more wear resistance than 52100, but still can be polished by hand with automotive paper.

M

Wasn't Devin going to start working with S125V or something insane like that? I wonder how that fares in comparison with this stuff.

Sounds ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Wasn't Devin going to start working with S125V or something insane like that? I wonder how that fares in comparison with this stuff.

Sounds ridiculous...
    Maybe Devin will chime in...

S125V is a lot more wear resistant than this stuff due to the fact that it has 12 1/2% vanadium in it. Mystery carbon is actually easier to finish than some of the other super wear resistant steels that I use.

Hoss