Work in Progess

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Haven't done WIP in pictures in a while.
Working on a number of handles and one cutting board this week. Pics to follow.

I wouldn't mind seeing a WIP pic of that cutting board. :D

I don't usually have a camera in the shop and besides, once I start working, I don't stop until I am done with what I set out to do. I usually take pictures at home, but these are snapshots of a multi-step process.

dsc1552.jpg

dsc1554.jpg

dsc1555r.jpg

Wood: Ebony, Lignum Vitae, Cocobolo, Arizona Desert Ironwood, Redwood Burl with buffalo horn and nickel silver spacer. Mortise and tenon construction.

These handles are still work in progress, as I only finished them to 220 grit. I usually bring handles all the way to 1500-2000 grit depending on wood.

After I finish them to 220 grit, I let them rest at home in a dryer environment for a couple of days, so wood and horn shrink a little bit, and then I sand the spacer flat and go on to finishing and installation.

All handles with exception of ebony are for 270mm Shigefusa gyuto. I must admit that making multiple of same size handle is much easier than all different size handles. Still learning and improving. Five down, twenty more to go. :(

M

Oohhh perdyyy. Which one is the lignum vitae?

The one at approximately 12 o'clock. After it is exposed to air for some time, it will turn green.

Fantastic wood to work with. Has a wonderful smell and polished great. Doesn't have much grain figure, but otherwise, I love to work it. I will be stocking up on it soon.

M

Very cool! Yeah, I read that it was machined and used in mechanical applications like block&tackle before the advent of plastics, so it makes sense that it would have dense, even/less figured grain. Thanks for the pictures! I can't wait to see it all finished up and on the blade.

Marko,
I love the work in progress pics, I can't wait to send you a knife for rehandling.

Marko,

Thanks for the WIP photos. They are great! Once again, some beautiful handles you have there.

-Chuck

very very nice Marko. your handle brings those shigefusas to another level.

rio

Marko, it appears on the Shigs that the spine at the handle (actually the entire neck) is much thicker on the kitaji blade than the kasumi blades. I've noticed this on other pics of Shigs as well. Is this true, and if so, why do you think this is?

This is a feature on all Shigefusa knives, double or single-beveled. The thickness vary and typically a knife's tang is as thick.

I don't have a good explanation as to why, I would need to ask Shigefusa, but it might have to do with several things:
- Sign of being hand forged
- Balance - extra weight on the tang
- Rigidity at the heel
- Cleaner handle installation - it completely removes marks from drilled pilot holes
- Regional thing - Yoshikane knives exhibit similar construction. Both are Sanjo smiths
M

My knife is done! My knife is done!

Looks great Marko. I can't wait to finally lay hands on this thing.

:crying:

Don't worry M, take your time.

I am starting all 240mm gyuto this week. That will cover you Bao and Rick, as well as a few others. I will aslo try to squize a few handles for 300mm slicers.

M

PS: Bao, the horn from Stefan looks great

I am starting all 240mm gyuto this week. That will cover you Bao and Rick, as well as a few others. I will aslo try to squize a few handles for 300mm slicers.

M

PS: Bao, the horn from Stefan looks great

Don't forget the sayas too.

This is a feature on all Shigefusa knives, double or single-beveled. The thickness vary and typically a knife's tang is as thick.

I don't have a good explanation as to why, I would need to ask Shigefusa, but it might have to do with several things:
- Sign of being hand forged
- Balance - extra weight on the tang
- Rigidity at the heel
- Cleaner handle installation - it completely removes marks from drilled pilot holes
- Regional thing - Yoshikane knives exhibit similar construction. Both are Sanjo smiths
M

marko, it seems to be a regional thing. I've seen it from every sanjo trained blacksmith i've seen.

Hot damn!

Some great looking work here Marko. Im impressed :)
Love the way you have your signature handle. :)

Love the way you have your signature handle. :)

I think that is pretty remarkable. It is just horn, spacer and wood, same as a lot of handles out there. But Markos just have a "look" about them, like you could pick them out of a lineup. Hard to do on something simple.

Some of it is photography, but most is the symmetry and finish. And yes, it is very simple if you think about it. I like to keep things simple and clean if I can.

M

Marko's handles (and sayas too) have a very distinct look to them and I agree this isn't easy to do with something like this. As always, great looking work Marko.

Marko's handles (and sayas too) have a very distinct look to them and I agree this isn't easy to do with something like this. As always, great looking work Marko.

Thanks Dave. Those sayas are coming, but not as quickly as I would like :(

Latest posts

Back