Too Pretty?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Can a piece of wood be too pretty to use?

There have been a few times I have heard people say that a piece of wood they got was just too pretty to use and that they were just going to keep it as it is. Well......today that happened to me.

This piece of Koa is not for sale. I just thought it was so darned pretty I had to show off to you guys.

1-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

I should probably make a short video of this piece because the photos only hint at how nice this piece is.
I almost didn't buy this batch of Koa because it was old pieces cut about 3/4" thick. But the guy I got it from told me that it would be something I would want. Glad I trusted his judgement.

Can I ask you: What would be a appropriate BF price for that quality if you buy something like this? Just in case I ever come across pieces like that...

Stefan

That is spectacular. It would be a shame not to use it. But it would have to be the right knife.

That is way nice. Amazing wood.

I am reluctantly with you on not selling it (for now), but I would think of it another way: Think of it as a block of wood waiting for the perfect piece. If Paul Bocuse or Thomas Keller wanted to rehandle their knives and needed that koa, would you let it go? Or what if a really good charity situation came along?

Anyhow, those things might (or likely will) not happen, but thinking in that way seems to make the wood even more special. And anyhow, isn't it more fun to think of how you would use such a piece of wood than how are you are not going to use it -- even if you will probably not sell it ever?

k.

Im very satisfied with Marks wood.
I have 3 knives, and they are all stunning. I have several more on the way too :)

I promise to post a pic of all my knives with burl source when my kitchen is done. It will be amazing!

That is way nice. Amazing wood.

I am reluctantly with you on not selling it (for now), but I would think of it another way: Think of it as a block of wood waiting for the perfect piece. If Paul Bocuse or Thomas Keller wanted to rehandle their knives and needed that koa, would you let it go? Or what if a really good charity situation came along?

Anyhow, those things might (or likely will) not happen, but thinking in that way seems to make the wood even more special. And anyhow, isn't it more fun to think of how you would use such a piece of wood than how are you are not going to use it -- even if you will probably not sell it ever?

k.

You seem to view the piece pretty much the same way as I do. I will have fun looking at it for the next several months.
Maybe I will end up using it on what I feel is a fitting project. Maybe it will go to someone else for a special project.

Can I ask you: What would be a appropriate BF price for that quality if you buy something like this? Just in case I ever come across pieces like that...
Stefan
This was mixed with some others so I don't know what I paid.
If I could get more like this I would happily pay $100bf or more.

Ever seen David Broadwell's work? I assure you he'd do it justice.
It's funny you should say that.
I had another piece of wood that I didn't want to sell. Now he has it and will be using it on one of his knives.

I have got wood from Mark on one knife so far with a couple more coming so overall i love his wood.

But im not seeing this peice as fantastic, black stripes ? if you want a tiger knife to match your leopardskin couch maybe !!

As usual am i the only one who doesnt like something !!!

Alan

I have got wood from Mark on one knife so far with a couple more coming so overall i love his wood.

But im not seeing this peice as fantastic, black stripes ? if you want a tiger knife to match your leopardskin couch maybe !!

As usual am i the only one who doesnt like something !!!

Alan

Alan, as you gain experience with handles and wood you'll be able to look at that block of koa and see the three-dimensional effect that you see as "tiger stripes". You just haven't gained the necessary depth of knowledge to be able to do this. Perhaps if Mark made the video he mentioned it would help you on your journey.

Alan,
What is tough to see in the photos is;
Those are not black stripes.
This is an example of 3 dimensional chatoyance.
When the block gets moved around those stripes turn from dark to light as well as change shape and size.
I think I had better make a short video.

Here is a short video that might show the piece a little better.
[video=youtube_share;APiUcpOiwVE]http://youtu.be/APiUcpOiwVE[/video]

I should make a video of my TLC rehandle...it looks a lot like your block!

Back