I'm Ashamed of Myself

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I didn't want to do anything for Christmas in terms of special food preparation (just didn't feel like it), so I picked up an already-cooked ham from the Honey Baked Ham Co. It was either that or let the in-laws take over my kitchen with things like cream of mushroom soup. And then when choosing a knife to cut the ham off the bone to put in le frigo, I used my proletarian Forschner bread knife.

Btw, this weekend I learned that a substitute for canned cream soups is to make a basic roux and add chicken stock and milk.

k.

Don't sweat it (the ham) -- this is a knife forum, not a cooking forum. :D

But about that Forschner... :nunchucks:

FWIW, I made a really simple ham recipe for the last couple Christmas parties we've hosted. Roast the ham, them smear it with a paste of molasses, brown sugar, bourbon and ground up toasted pecans, then back in the oven until the coating gets bubbly. We had people show up this year who walked in the front door and said "I hope you made that ham again this year!" We sent quite a few home with doggie bags.

Karring,
Hey I was on the fence whether to buy a ham at all, and I decided not to, I don't know what we are going to have for dinner tonight. But, since we spent some of the day yesterday making cookies, I know what we will be having for dessert.
Del

Don't sweat it (the ham) -- this is a knife forum, not a cooking forum. :D

But about that Forschner... :nunchucks:

FWIW, I made a really simple ham recipe for the last couple Christmas parties we've hosted. Roast the ham, them smear it with a paste of molasses, brown sugar, bourbon and ground up toasted pecans, then back in the oven until the coating gets bubbly. We had people show up this year who walked in the front door and said "I hope you made that ham again this year!" We sent quite a few home with doggie bags.

I am about to make that glaze minus the pecans, hope it turns out well.

As far as not having the drive to cook, I recently ate taco bell twice in two weeks, that is two more times than I have eaten it all year long. So I am right there with you.

Ham is really essential on the Swedish christmas table, Recipie. I like the ham on christmas day but it's better the days thereafter as complement to dark bread, roasted onions, mayonaise, mustard and cheese.

Decent hams are already kinda "cooked" anyway, so you only cheated a little bit. Now if you had bought the Honeybaked pre-sliced in the vacuum packs, that would be another matter altogether.:lol2:

I noticed a huge line at a outside a strip center Friday. I was thinking wow, there must be some sale going on. Turned out it was the line to pick up your honey baked ham.:D

Back