Quantcast
******** Fanatic
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ******** Fanatic

******** Fanatic

Anybody try this one yet? Is it a worthy alternative to the Tojiro F-631?

http://www.**************.com/rifa1.html
    http://www.**************.com/tojirocleaver1.html

Not many great SS cleavers around.
    Last edited by Jim; 12-29-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Off topic

Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
    Anybody try this one yet? Is it a worthy alternative to the Tojiro F-631?

http://www.**************.com/rifa1.html
    http://www.**************.com/tojirocleaver1.html

Not many great SS cleavers around.
    The knife is not even closly related to the Tojiro. The Tojiro comes in at a hefty 650+ grams with the Fanatic is closer to 200. I have never tried the Tojiro, but the other is a pretty good knife. Thin, sharp with reasonable edge retention. Fashioned after the CCK 1303, I can't really find any major flaws with it, except for a bit much flex where the tang meets the handle which could crack the ferrule.
    Last edited by Jim; 12-29-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Edited off topic Quote

200 seems a bit too light for a cleaver... well, but the dimensions in general for the Fanatic are all a bit smaller, too. That's a bit of a negative, in my opinion.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    200 seems a bit too light for a cleaver... well, but the dimensions in general for the Fanatic are all a bit smaller, too. That's a bit of a negative, in my opinion.
    Sorry, I should have said 200 ish, I don't have mine here to weight but it is close. For many, this is a detriment as many are used to the weight of a #6 or close. This is really a small slicer, certainly on the light side of a #3. I am used to light weight cleavers so for me it was a good buy.

My Fanatic weighs 256g with a 209mm edge. For a vegetable cleaver it seem to be a pretty good size to me. I've inspected the tang area and tried to flex handle and blade and it's plenty sturdy. I like the fact that it's made out of AEB-L and hardened to HRC 61 which should make it a pretty durable cleaver. Another sweet thing about this cleaver is you can put a really keen edge on it.

It's a CCK 1303 with MUCH better steel, made via stock removal(which barely makes a difference here). The grind isn't exactly the same, but it performs very similar. Basically, if you love the CCK 1303, but don't love the "rustic" F&F(let's face, it's fugly), orange patina, yellow stains on food, and rusting, and complete lack of edge-holding, the Fanatic is what you want.

I can't say how it compares to other cleavers in it's price range, like a Sugimoto or Suien VC, because I've never used those. But I would say it's a fairly self-explanatory knife.

I don't know how you define great? Inexpensive? Stainless Steel? Size?

The Addict is a small cleaver, stainless, at a good price.

The Tojiro is a full size cleaver. The weight sounds like a #7 chopping cleaver, instead of a slicer. Reviews have been mixed. A cleaver guru was impressed by the one he got, others have not been as positive.

If I were going to get a high end stainless cleaver, and keeping costs, some what in line, would probably be the Mizuno. The best fit and finish, is the forum cleaver. The best stainless cleaver, might be the Tadatsuna. If its profile and grind are similar to the white steel version, that was discontinued.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    I don't know how you define great? Inexpensive? Stainless Steel? Size?

The Addict is a small cleaver, stainless, at a good price.

The Tojiro is a full size cleaver. The weight sounds like a #7 chopping cleaver, instead of a slicer. Reviews have been mixed. A cleaver guru was impressed by the one he got, others have not been as positive.

If I were going to get a high end stainless cleaver, and keeping costs, some what in line, would probably be the Mizuno. The best fit and finish, is the forum cleaver. The best stainless cleaver, might be the Tadatsuna. If its profile and grind are similar to the white steel version, that was discontinued.

Jay
    You sound authoritative... which of those cleavers do you own?

Well, I don´t have the Fanatic but I do have the Tojiro. Mine is not that heavy, it is "only" 509 grams and although I prefer lighter cleavers I like that extra weigth for certain tasks and I still enjoy a lot using it from time to time. However as an all around cleaver I would rather have one between 400 and 450 grams (and 22x11 cm). Lesser than that seems more than a nakiri or gyuto to me and I don´t really feel confortable with it. My Misono is 350 grams and I find it annoyingly light (and small) these days.

Jay
    If I could only have one of my cleavers it would probably be the Mizuno stainless cleaver, perfect weigt, can get insanely sharp, superb profile, crazy thin (as thin as my cck 1103) and by no means weak, or the Tadatsuna inox cleaver, similar to the Mizuno, perfect weigt, can get insanely sharp, superb profile... (very thin too although not as much as the Mizuno) but with a (to me) even better blade shape. I don´t know much about the forum cleaver but to me it bears certain resemblace with the Tojiro (full size cleaver, VG10, around 500 grams...) but sure it is a exceptional cleaver too.