Quantcast
Got my first gyuto for Christmas. A question about bevels.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got my first gyuto for Christmas. A question about bevels.

Got my first gyuto for Christmas. A question about bevels.

Hi folks.

It's a Yoshihiro 270mm stainless steel wa-gyuto and is very, very pretty

I have a nice new end-grain cutting board to go along with it and was using it a bit yesterday to prepare our Christmas dinner. I don't have any sharpening equipment outside of a honing steel, so I was working with the factory edge. One thing I was noticing when halving some brussel sprouts was that the knife wanted to slice towards me. Maybe I just need to fix my grip or get used to the knife, but it was noticeable enough that I thought I'd ask about it.

I know that gyutos are not single bevel knives, but was wondering why there is only one 'second' bevel' on the back side of the knife rather than on both sides. Does that make sense?

I was doing some reading and it sounds like I mostly just need to get this thing sharpened and it will be less of an issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsors
    Yoshihiro wa-gyutos have asymmetrical bevels. This can easily be changed in a sharpening session or two if you'd like it to be more even.

Perhaps it is an option to wait some time before changing it. You may get used to it very quickly, which is useful because most J have this asymmetry. You may compensate by turning the blade a few degree clockwise.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    Yoshihiro wa-gyutos have asymmetrical bevels. This can easily be changed in a sharpening session or two if you'd like it to be more even.
    Gotcha. Is this typical of gyutos in general, or does it vary knife to knife, or brand to brand, etc?

Sponsors
    it varies... many are about 60/40 or 70/30 (ish). The Yoshihiro is more on the extreme side, but i have found it is very easy to deal with and very easy to change if you want to.

Once you get used to the phenomena you adapt instantly when going from one knife to another. The proportion on one specific knive is part of its total geometry.

Asymmetry will become your friend. So much so, that you might start asking for it when getting a custom made...
    If it really bugs you, follow jon's advice and sharpen it out gradually.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

It doesn't bother me, was just curious!

Jon pointed me towards the knife, after all

+ Reply to Thread