Quantcast
Calling all Shig owners
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all Shig owners

Calling all Shig owners

Hey all. Well after a little deliberation I've decided to start saving my pennies for a 240 standard shig. So I was wondering what everyone else thinks of them? I've heard that they are some of the best cutters around and also the most reactive. So any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

Best mighty knife I've ever used.
    Feels fantastic on the hones.

Can't wait to rehandle mine.

I love mine. I didn't sharpen it when I got it and remained super sharp for months with just touch-ups (home cook prep). Regarding reactivity, I haven't had any problems but I have to confess I baby it. I only used it with proteins for a while (mainly chicken breast) until it formed a blueish patina that seems pretty solid, I also clean it with very hot water, which supposedly also helps.

get one, you won't regret it, and if you don't like it, you can always sell it at a minimal loss.

ps: when you order, get also a couple of finger stones, they will help maintain the original finish.

I was thinking about picking one up from JWW, (if they still have any that is) if I remember correct, there is someone who will get you a custom, but I do hate to wait

I seem to remember Dr. Naka is on hold with the Shig orders for some reason. But if he lifts the hold, a big on the fingerstones. I like the Maruka Nakayama.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I seem to remember Dr. Naka is on hold with the Shig orders for some reason. But if he lifts the hold, a big on the fingerstones. I like the Maruka Nakayama.
    Unfortunately, Dr. Naka seems to be taking a break.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...2353#post62353

Wow, that's to bad. But, I just shot an e-mail to JWW to see if they have any or will be getting any in stock. Fingers crossed. What a way to break in a credit card with no APR for 15 months

Well I'm all for a nice looking knife, but I also do like a patina, kind of shows the traveled road that the knife has been on. But I do every so often clean up my Kono and such. What is the profile like and such? Thanks again.

It's awesome. Glad I got mine from Marko when he was selling them. It is costly for sure, but it is also great. I just ordered one when he posted and had it in a couple of weeks. Guess I got lucky.

I like mine greatly

I liked my Heiji better. Just felt much nicer to cut with the Heiji even though the Shig was even thinner than standard.

+ Reply to Thread