Quantcast
Calling all Shig owners - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all Shig owners

My kitaeji shig nakiri has a really reactive cladding. Of course, the nature of a nakiri is dealing with veggies, so there's no building up a nice patina with protein first - or at least I'm stubborn enough to keep my nakiri purely for vegetable matter. Couldn't tell you what a regular kasumi Shig's cladding is like, but the kitaeji cladding reacts beyond anything else I have.

Cuts nicely, though.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by aaronsgibson View Post
    I was thinking about picking one up from JWW, (if they still have any that is) if I remember correct, there is someone who will get you a custom, but I do hate to wait
    I seem to remember a few for sale here a few months back, I think one may still be for sale. If JWW does not have anything, you can probably post a WTB in the BST forum and you may get some takers.

i love my 240 kasumi Shig, but i like my 240 kitaeji Yoshikane as much, and the Yoshikanes are cheaper and easier to get. something to think about.

love both heiji and shige, I have not tried a heiji gyuto but I am sure I would love it (wink wink Jon)

Love my western 240 kasumi, reactivity was bad at first, then I followed the Darkhoek patina recipe which worked really well. Though I later stripped this off to go for a protein patina which is slowly building....
    I find it great to cut with really like the profile and geometry, it's thicker at the heel but with loads of taper.
    The cladding is soft and prone to errant scratches, but this doesn't really bother me.

I have a 270mm Kasumi gyuto. Like it lots.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i love my 240 kasumi Shig, but i like my 240 kitaeji Yoshikane as much, and the Yoshikanes are cheaper and easier to get. something to think about.
    I recently got a 270 Yoshikane tamamoku and it's absolutely beautiful with ridiculous geometry...I just can't imagine a Shig being any better, especially for double the price.

This is the first knife I've ever purchased that I wanted to keep the look in pristine condition, so I've barely even used it...which means I will probably sell it soon unfortunately.

I got mine from aframestokyo in July. Although they do not take orders anymore, they seem to get a few extra knives when their Shigefusa back-orders arrive. So check the site often.
    I actually hoped for a 210, but gladly jumped on a 240 when it became available and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    I liked my Heiji better. Just felt much nicer to cut with the Heiji even though the Shig was even thinner than standard.
    <Mod edit & paraphrase: "I strongly disagree.">
    Last edited by echerub; 12-29-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Original phrasing inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronsgibson View Post
    I was thinking about picking one up from JWW, (if they still have any that is) if I remember correct, there is someone who will get you a custom, but I do hate to wait
    Where do you even order these knives from? whats JWW?