Quantcast
Calling all Shig owners - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Shig owners

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes7792 View Post
    Where do you even order these knives from? whats JWW?
    I would have said Dr. Naka (a vendor on this forum), but it appears he is taking a break from business.

JWW = The Japan Woodworker, which is in Alameda (Bay Area), CA.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/page....ntent_id=10045

As someone else said earlier, Aframes Tokyo gets them in from time to time.

http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...uto-knife.html

Japan Wood Worker. They get Shigefusa every few weeks (they used to in the past). You get on a list and they call you when they have some in stock. The problem is they call a bunch of people and should they get through, you will have to make a decision on the spot, sometimes you end up with a knife different that you wanted originally, but what is available at the moment. Their prices are good, shipping is free and if you are a professional, you get 10% discount (have to ask for it).

The downside - they don't know what they are getting (whatever Shigefusa sends them they take), they don't take custom orders and if they didn't get hold of you withing 10-15 minutes, they move to the next person on a list.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I've had 2 - a 240 (sold last year) and my current 225. Both behaved the same.
    Patina was easy to form, no smells on onions or problems with citrus. Clean with HOT water and soap, you'll be fine. Fairly easy to sharpen, but I find the metal is a little slower to create a burr than others. It's a heavier knife - I thought I liked thin knives until I started to use this one. I'm happy Stefan put a handle on it for me... if I'm paying that kind of $$ for a knife, it makes sense to make it my own. The profile... I thought I'd have to get used to it, but it is more natural to use for me, Mr. home cook.
    The Wantanabe has a thinner blade close to the edge, but heft is about the same - I find myself reaching for that knife when I want to be faster, or have thinner cuts to make... but I've sharpened the 2 knives with different purposes in mind (Shig w/microbevel to cut and cut and cut, Wantanabe with a refined edge that I sharpen a little more frequently). The Carter Gyuto is lighter, completely different profile - and I'm so afraid of breaking the tip, I've stopped reaching for it since the Shigs came along. Devin's Carbon knife has seen less use too. The Kono seems like an old fav, but in the home kitchen, with a Shig... the Shig easily gets 80% of the work, taking into consideration the times I reach for pettys and santoku's. If the hobby wasn't part collection, I'd probably only have Shig's.
    Damn... reading this over makes me want to go cook up a storm, using all my dusty knives.
    Last edited by Josh; 12-29-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: woops used the wrong body part
    Approach life and cooking with reckless abandon

I have both a 180 Shig Gyuto and a 180 Nakiri I bought off JWW that I like very much. Super plain jane knives for looks but they work great. The nakiri is much heavier than the average Japanese version of this knife. Kind of a mini-Chinese cleaver. It sees a lot of use cracking and cutting up Dungeness crab here.

I am waiting for my Shigi

I just want to express what I went through. I ordered a custom Shigefusa kitaeji Gyuto 255 mm via drnaka 7 months ago. The reason I chose him was because he promised that it would take 3 months. Well, it didn´t. I contacted him few days ago and got refund of my 50% deposit. When I contacted him a month ago he said that it could take some extra 3 months. I found one in Europe a brand new one with octagonal handle and better price and luckily 250 mm and they had the last one on stock so they shipped it the same day. I am getting it after 4 days. Have been waiting for this knife for 7 months now so I am really excited. Drnaka was always nice and helpful but I felt disappointed that this happened.

Given the situation in Japan after the tsunami and the Fukushima meltdowns, the problem with Shigefusa is understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by andoniminev View Post
    I just want to express what I went through. I ordered a custom Shigefusa kitaeji Gyuto 255 mm via drnaka 7 months ago. The reason I chose him was because he promised that it would take 3 months. Well, it didn´t. I contacted him few days ago and got refund of my 50% deposit. When I contacted him a month ago he said that it could take some extra 3 months. I found one in Europe a brand new one with octagonal handle and better price and luckily 250 mm and they had the last one on stock so they shipped it the same day. I am getting it after 4 days. Have been waiting for this knife for 7 months now so I am really excited. Drnaka was always nice and helpful but I felt disappointed that this happened.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Quote Originally Posted by andoniminev View Post
    This would be pure speculation, but perhaps the inability to deliver is part of the reason why Dr. Naka has stopped taking orders for them.

He's renovating his workshop, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    I recently got a 270 Yoshikane tamamoku and it's absolutely beautiful with ridiculous geometry...I just can't imagine a Shig being any better, especially for double the price.

This is the first knife I've ever purchased that I wanted to keep the look in pristine condition, so I've barely even used it...which means I will probably sell it soon unfortunately.
    get some good natural finger stones and some micro mesh pads, and you can keep it looking good with a bit of elbow grease.

I've handled a few Shigs. I haven't been super excited about them. They just haven't cut as well for me as I expected based on all the rave reviews. I also prefer Heiji with regard to cutting performance but I'm not sure which one wins in the edge retention department.

+ Reply to Thread