Quantcast
The Ban of Darkhoek **Update post 163***
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ban of Darkhoek **Update post 163***

The Ban of Darkhoek **Update post 163***

Well, as a few of you know Im not impressed about how this forum is run. Seams that this site has become a one man show and store, where all business must go to one person. When I joined, the vision was that it should be a place to take care of the small business man, but as time went by this site does not take care of everyone.

I know my opinion is of no importance to most here, so you all might be happy if Im banned to.

Bill Burke, Pierre Rodrigues, Marko: If I get banned our project will go through mail.

Can I get some feedback on this one?
    http://***********************/2011/11...forumscom.html

I am one of those that think Darkhoek got something to teach us all with his great post, knowledge and great WIPs. To bad a fantastic member like that get banned from a site like this. I though this was a forum to share our passion and knowledge....

Merry x-mas btw

Sad

Wait, what? That's crazy. I'm sure that must have been a mistake or misunderstanding. Given the number of people that are doing handles or blades as Hobbyists and then being able to use the Hobbyist site to sell in forum, I'm just not sure that a WIP thread is truly reason for a ban...

Or is it that DH took the Shige restore job? Given that nearly everyone in thread agreed that's where it should go, I'm not sure that's really a good reason either. Explanation please?

Engorged Member
    You make it seem as this came out of nowhere, and I doubt this is the case. Marko made the jump from member to vendor. As I remember it is reasonable to become a vendor. I"m amazed that Harald hasn't chosen to go this route.

Oivind, have you contacted Dave via PM or email to get a better idea as to what occurred?

Pesky

I don't know the whole story behind this, but it seems that to be fair to all the paying vendors, if you profit from the use of the forum, in any significant way, you should be a paying vendor. It is only fair. Many here have made the move.

I suggest a one-time warning before a ban. Sometimes, these things can happen unintentionally. I understand, this forum has rules and they posted publicly, but stuff happens. I hope you guys (mods and Dave) show some flexibility.
    Vendors, not vendors, but we also have a community here so that needs to be taken in consideration as well.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I guess I get that. But it seems like a lot of people are now getting into knives and handles and the like. The line between vendor and hobbyist seems a bit blurry. If I see a hobbyist doing some cool stuff and ask him to make me one too, are they now a vendor? Or is it only if they try to actively sell?

Oivind, once again you show poor form in how you deal with things but non the less I'll address your concerns.

DH has been temporarily banned for a period of 30 days starting today.

According to DH's blog he states that he doesn't understand why he has been banned and did nothing to warrant this however this is not truthful. DH was spoken to about advertising for his business through his blog signature link and homepage links and promised me that he wasn't doing business so I allowed him to continue posting the sig link. I took him for his word. Since then he has removed his signature link (or never re-posted it) to his blog himself. We had a very lengthy PM about this matter and I made the other moderators aware of this issue.

Today he posted images (within a thread that he started in the Kitchen Knife forum) of a knife that he finihsed working on for another individual with a noter that he wasn't sure if this was the correct way/place to post them. The fact is that he made mention that they were done for another person and that he does accept business and he posted even knowing the rules here.

My choice here was to either once again explain to him the rules of the site or give him some time off to think about it.

The thing is here that I'm not a policeman nor do I want to be one but it's a fact that many knifemakers and knife customizers have been taking advantage of this site and making me play one. You folks have absolutely no idea the level to which this type of crap goes on and how I'm forced to deal with it all of the time. Let's just say that there's a hell of a lot more takers than givers showing up here.

The rules are laid out to follow the exact mission to which this forum was begun for. There has been no change in what we're doing here except that we've had to implement rules upon rules upon rules because of people taking advantage. If it were up to me it would have remained the same as it was day #1 but other people have made that impossible.

As for this place being a one man show/store, Oivind, that's pretty low. Maybe the other 16 vendors might disagree with you on that.

Speaking of the vendors here, they are one of the main reasons why I've taken a stand against people advertising freely. The pay a fee to have the right to advertise here and this fee (almost) pays for the monthly costs to run the site. I aim to protect the rights that they pay for.

On the issue of keeping other knifemakers/vendors out of here I have another consideration besides the paying vendors and that is to protect the membership from scammers, users, and kitchen knife shaped objects. Most of us know what happened to KF when the leeches were allowed in and I don't intend to repeat the mistakes that were made there.

Besides those two issues, there is no hidden agenda or reasons to keep other knifemaker/vendors out of here. I think the fact that I've allowed and even invited many of the vendors here that are direct competition to my business should speak volumes to my character and what I'm trying to do here.

On you being banned for speaking out here in this thread Oivind, that won't happen unless you go all crazy or something and start cursing us out or something like that. Besides, if we were looking to ban you it would have been done already for that horsesh*t move you pulled by threatening to take your knife back during the BB donation.

So back on topic, DH is banned for 30 days, and when that time is up we welcome him back. He's been a valuable member of the community and we hope that this isn't going to be something that we have happen again.

Now I look forward to wasting another evening dealing with this crap....

Dave

Fair enough. Thanks for clarifying this, Dave -

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Ah. I didn't realize DH had a full-fledged side-business. Thought he was just an avid hobbyist. Seems clear and fair to me! If I were he I'd just become a vendor. Not really sure why he hasn't if this is a official or semi-official thing for him

Closed Thread