Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Old Forum

How and when did that forum become a focus for kitchen knife people? Was the "In the Kitchen" subforum set up by that guy we don't talk about? I joined KF a long time ago when I joined many other forums like BF, Knife Network, etc, etc., probably sometime around 2006. I guess I found it less interesting than the other Us forums because I totally forgot that it existed much less that I had signed up until folks mentioned it on here. I have no idea how many forums I have joined over the last 5-6 years because I pretty much frequent 3 in the US, 2 in Europe and I occasionally check in on maybe 3-4 others. In some cases, like Knife Network, which was the first forum that i joined, I just stopped checking after a while because I found more interesting stuff elsewhere. In the case of KF, it would appear that I never really went there much at all, so i never really noticed the kitchen knife content.

i stop in and look and i guess post onece in a blue moon but thats about it (not that that changed much from before the split )

its very slow, even before everone leaving it changed alot, it doesnt help the economy sucks an no one has extra money to spend on kitchen knives.

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    How and when did that forum become a focus for kitchen knife people? Was the "In the Kitchen" subforum set up by that guy we don't talk about? I joined KF a long time ago when I joined many other forums like BF, Knife Network, etc, etc., probably sometime around 2006. I guess I found it less interesting than the other Us forums because I totally forgot that it existed much less that I had signed up until folks mentioned it on here. I have no idea how many forums I have joined over the last 5-6 years because I pretty much frequent 3 in the US, 2 in Europe and I occasionally check in on maybe 3-4 others. In some cases, like Knife Network, which was the first forum that i joined, I just stopped checking after a while because I found more interesting stuff elsewhere. In the case of KF, it would appear that I never really went there much at all, so i never really noticed the kitchen knife content.
    I'm surprised, in 2006 ITK, was the forum on kitchen knives. Much if not all of the success of the forum was due to its moderators, Fish-N-Poi and Lee. Those two guided countless members in how to choose and sharpen their knives. I've wondered how far along, the high end knife community would be without those two.

The appeal of ITK, was a sense of community, people were willing share what they had learned. Whether it was, Curtis or Andy, sharing their latest find, to Dave looking for feed back on a tip or technique.

ITK was not prepared to handle Vendors. Surprising considering how much emphasis is placed on ads. It was going through a process to deal with them, but it appeared to be handled clumsily.

The downfall of ITK was the Super Mods. They had an annoying tendency to insert themselves into fights, which they didn't understand, and lecture people to behave. The super mods never seemed to understand how their heavy handed actions added to the frustrations people had with the forum. The irony is that the Super Mods, ended up starting fights, that they were trying to prevent. Mark will never be a sympathetic figure for his role in breaking up the forum. But it was a failure of the super mods, including the top super mod, to handle a dispute between vendors.

If its been a slow day on KKF, then I'll check out ITK. Every once in a while, they have an interesting thread. Usually I give it a quick glance and move on.

Jay

I still check it about twice a week. I used to check it more after the split and even tried to make my peace (but that didn't work well). Some amazingly poor PMs came my way that basically said I was 'simple', 'mislead', and 'gullible'. It's strange how that turns someone off But most of the vendor threads are elsewhere, and some of the threads seem contrived. I once joked that you should call it Knife Forums to Go -- Mark looks to be the unofficial moderator these days. His vendor forum is the most active, but after reading it for a day or so, it gets a bit nauseating. I feel like I am at Applebees with a smiley-faced server dealing with me.

But with that said, Chad Ward recommends KnifeForums in his book, so we should expect new knife knuts who read that book to first check that forum out.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

How long ago was that book written?

Jay, I guess I will have to admit that kitchen knives were not really of interest to me until recently. I drank the collectable knife Kool Aid and strove to make knives to sell to those folks. Some of the other forums are more suited to that. Only problem was that collectors only buy knives that they feel will be collectable and when bad times hit or some newer guys start wanting to actually be paid for their work, those guys become kinda scarce. Sure, they will compliment you on your fine work, but that's about it. Attaboys don't pay for steel and grinding belts, ya know.
    I have learned in the short time that I have been here that, heaven preserve us, kitchen knife people actually USE their collectible knives and are willing to give makers a look see and pay a fair price even if they are making a good product, even if they aren't famous. Live and learn, right? I just wish thay I had paid closer attention a couple of years ago.