Next Year's Burl

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
This is some of what will be coming next year.
I will make a post when I have any of this posted in our web store.
California Buckeye Burl. Obnoxious looking stuff, but some people like it.
kk003.jpg

You think your special piece of Koa is cool, I love this stuff, especially the long block in the middle of this group. This is the great thing about wood, there's something for everybody.

WOW! What a coincindence. I just bought a load of Buckeye burl thin lumber looking just like these pieces (burly, curly, black, blue, light three tone wood...stuff) for a saya for another project and I was wondering how the heck am I going to find matching handles for the rest of all that saya wood. Well, hello, hello! :D You just made my day a little more interesting, Mark.

DarKHOeK

WOW! What a coincindence. I just bought a load of Buckeye burl thin lumber looking just like these pieces (burly, curly, black, blue, light three tone wood...stuff) for a saya for another project and I was wondering how the heck am I going to find matching handles for the rest of all that saya wood. Well, hello, hello! :D You just made my day a little more interesting, Mark.

DarKHOeK
welcome back!

Mark, any other hints as to what the New Year holds????

Mark, any other hints as to what the New Year holds????
Other new woods I am in the process of cleaning up are;
Madrone Burl
Red Morrell Burl
Vasticola Burl
African Blackwood

I love this burl also.

We are a strange bunch Mark !!

Red Morrell and african blackwood....yummy!!!! love red morrell....

Totally jonesing to see the new offerings :bigeek:

I am trying to time things where I can close the store on New Years Day, and then a few hours later re-open it with a couple hundred new pieces.

I am having a hard time staying focused dealing with the year end clearance stuff.
What I really want to do is post some photos of the new stuff.
But I am forcing myself to be disciplined.

Dang, I just went to your store and it has been clear cut. Looking forward to seeing the new pieces.

Dang, I just went to your store and it has been clear cut. Looking forward to seeing the new pieces.

There are only 179 pieces left to sell before I can start listing some of the new stuff.

Some of the New Stuff coming on the 1st
t004.jpg

t001.jpg

t002.jpg

t003.jpg

Sorry about the bad photos.

In case you haven't noticed.
Orange and Red are going to be big in 2012

Just had a burlgasm. The Kia and the redwood(?) are insane.

Yeah, that's gotta be the wierd redwood. I also like the buckeye, lol.

I think I'm glad I found this forum....but I gotta get some money first!! I am doing up a set of 3 kitchen knives for a Game Dinner Raffle and was looking for something special for the handles. Can't wait to see the New Year update!!

I really hope you put aside a bowie sized block of that Buckeye for me:eek2:

I still need to figure out what I am doing for handles on my brothers knives, I am thinking a light full grained main handle with a dark rich burl front piece:scratchhead:

OK, Mark the new year is 10 hours old lets see some new stuff

Mark probably passed out in the wood pile! :justkidding: Time for :coffeelove:

This thread will show batches of the New Woods for 2012 as I get them added to our Webstore.

For those of you who took part in our annual year end clearance sale; "Thank You"
Hundreds of pieces were sold in just a few days. Thank you for making 2011 a great year. That enables me to get lots of new and unusual woods for 2012.

For this years wood I am trying to focus on providing some of the most dramatic knife handle woods I can find throughout the world. There will still be some budget priced pieces, but most of what you see in the store will be hard to find, high grade and unusual pieces. All of the stabilized wood is professionally stabilized by K&G. In my opinion, one of the best professional stabilizing companies there is. As before, everything in the store comes with free shipping worldwide and a money back guarantee.

The first batch of Stabilized Wood I have added to the store is Red Morrell Burl from Western Australia.
This is a very nice, Red Australian burl that I get from Western Australia each year. This comes from a small mill that harvests the burl themselves. Each year they pick out some of the very best blocks for me. This wood usually has a lot of open eyes and cracks. At least the stuff I have been able to find here in the US. To avoid that I import the pieces before they are dry. This way I can dry the wood slowly to avoid most of the common flaws. Once I have it dried I send it to K&G for stabilizing.

I only get a limited amount of this wood each year. After the pieces in the store are gone, it will probably be another year before I have more.

Stabilized Red Morrell Burl from Australia - Click on this link or the photo to see what is available in our store.

As I add other new wood to our store I will make a post here.
This way you can be some of the first to see the new stuff for 2012.

Hey Mark, whens that redwood going up? I've been killing my refresh button with overuse!

I just finished adding these blocks of Buckeye. The redwood will be next. Probably about an hour.

ohh i waited for these :bliss:
Thanks Mark

I just finished adding some extra large redwood blocks.
These should yield 2 wa handles plus extra ferrule material.

a207915134a1304cfef5a7_m.jpg
Holy BURL! Cant wait to see it in real life!

Latest posts

Back