Quantcast
Carter thinning project ... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carter thinning project ...

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    And your fingertips are still intact? It looks great, be sure to post further projects. Windex, and Exxon Mobil 1 motor oil, make fantastic lubricants. The oil is stellar, it "floats" all the metal particles. You only need a few drops.
    I don't know if there will be other projects, I did this for fun ... just to see if I could do it. I will remember your suggestions, thanks Pierre.

Nice work, any reason why you chose to thin it?

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    Nice work, any reason why you chose to thin it?
    Not really. This is my working tool and I just wanted to experiment.

Well done!

This must have been a confidence test... I had to thin my shigefusa, it was nerve wracking.

You did a nice job. The finish looks great, hardly notice the scratches. I've thinned a couple of my knives and it is a pretty interesting process. I usually thin most on the coarse stones then go to 1200 then 4k and pretty much roll the edge on purpose to try and get all the scratches out, then resharpen from 1200 afterwards. Mine are still a bit scratched up but I don't notice it after a while. Have you noticed much convexity from the thinning process?

Tap Magic cutting fluid also works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Have you noticed much convexity from the thinning process?
    No I have not. Maybe because I sharpen from tip to heel - full strokes - which let me keep my angle better (just a personal preference I guess). Yes the scratches will be less visible after a while ... as you I don't mind, if I did, I would have spent more time with higher grits.

@ Kalaeb ... thanks

@ J.D ... Maybe Still I had fun ...

Quote Originally Posted by Peco View Post
    Not really. This is my working tool and I just wanted to experiment.
    Cool, notice much difference? My carter Hg is already quite thin, and I like the convexity of the blade face but I always get tempted to refinish it to get the scratches from Carter's finish out. I just worry about messing up the geometry, might give it a go now.....
    Any other projects on the horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    Cool, notice much difference? My carter Hg is already quite thin, and I like the convexity of the blade face but I always get tempted to refinish it to get the scratches from Carter's finish out. I just worry about messing up the geometry, might give it a go now.....
    Any other projects on the horizon?
    I need to test it more to tell. If something is not right I'll just hit the stones again

Next little project will be new bevels on a Tojiro honesuki, maybe 70/30 - 60/40 instead of 99/1? Expecting the JNS 1000 stone from Maxim within a few days and might as well test it on the honesuki. Not that big a project even though the steel seems hard. We'll see how it goes

+ Reply to Thread