Carter thinning project ...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peco

Banned
Reaction score
So I got the day of and decided to flatten my stones. When done I wanted to sharpen some knifes. Ended up thinning my Carter a tiny bit behind the edge ....

Carter_funa1.jpg

Carter_funa2.jpg

I used my Chosera 400 grit for this process. Cut quite a lot of metal as you can see :O

Even though I never tried this before I had a plan. Cut some metal, sand by hand, apply new bevels and hopefully end up with a usable knife. After the 400 grit stone I sanded the surface with sandpaper (for metal). 180 and 360 grit was used. First I sanded without lubricate and later I used WD-40. This picture shows the knife thru half of this process ... approx. 10 minutes or so ...

Carter_funa3.jpg

One can see a tiny bit of the 400 grit pattern ...

After sanding both sides - with both grits - it was time to set the bevels. First the 1000 grit Chosera ... I aimed for a 50/50 bevel ... 0,5 milimeter edge ...

Carter_funa4.jpg

Thinning a Carter? You are nuts!!!
Great job on it, though. :D

Looks really good. Nice even scratch pattern.:biggrin:

After stropping on cardboard and paper I wasn't satisfied with the cutting performance, I hit the stones again. 1000 grit to thin behind the edge and set the bevels to approx. 70-80/30-20. Followed by the 5000 grit, cardboard and paper. This bevel cut like a charm and its a keeper ...

Carter_funa7.jpg

Carter_funa8.jpg

All in all it was a fun project which took about 2.5-3 hours. I'm very satisfied with the result - taking all facts into consideration. The finish on the knife turned out great (for me). As mentioned many times before I'm not fond of bling bling. The blade could get a lot finer scratches using higher grits - I won't even go there. This has been a good learning process and it won't be the last time I get into deep water :D

And your fingertips are still intact? It looks great, be sure to post further projects. Windex, and Exxon Mobil 1 motor oil, make fantastic lubricants. The oil is stellar, it "floats" all the metal particles. You only need a few drops.

And your fingertips are still intact? It looks great, be sure to post further projects. Windex, and Exxon Mobil 1 motor oil, make fantastic lubricants. The oil is stellar, it "floats" all the metal particles. You only need a few drops.

I don't know if there will be other projects, I did this for fun ... just to see if I could do it. I will remember your suggestions, thanks Pierre.

This must have been a confidence test... I had to thin my shigefusa, it was nerve wracking.

You did a nice job. The finish looks great, hardly notice the scratches. I've thinned a couple of my knives and it is a pretty interesting process. I usually thin most on the coarse stones then go to 1200 then 4k and pretty much roll the edge on purpose to try and get all the scratches out, then resharpen from 1200 afterwards. Mine are still a bit scratched up but I don't notice it after a while. Have you noticed much convexity from the thinning process?

Have you noticed much convexity from the thinning process?

No I have not. Maybe because I sharpen from tip to heel - full strokes - which let me keep my angle better (just a personal preference I guess). Yes the scratches will be less visible after a while ... as you I don't mind, if I did, I would have spent more time with higher grits.

@ Kalaeb ... thanks

@ J.D ... Maybe :D Still I had fun ...

Not really. This is my working tool and I just wanted to experiment.

Cool, notice much difference? My carter Hg is already quite thin, and I like the convexity of the blade face but I always get tempted to refinish it to get the scratches from Carter's finish out. I just worry about messing up the geometry, might give it a go now.....
Any other projects on the horizon?

Cool, notice much difference? My carter Hg is already quite thin, and I like the convexity of the blade face but I always get tempted to refinish it to get the scratches from Carter's finish out. I just worry about messing up the geometry, might give it a go now.....
Any other projects on the horizon?

I need to test it more to tell. If something is not right I'll just hit the stones again :D

Next little project will be new bevels on a Tojiro honesuki, maybe 70/30 - 60/40 instead of 99/1? Expecting the JNS 1000 stone from Maxim within a few days and might as well test it on the honesuki. Not that big a project even though the steel seems hard. We'll see how it goes ;)

Ah cool, I'll be bugging you for feedback on that stone- its on my shopping list :D

Any reason for changing the honesuki? I'm the process of making one after forging the blade before Christmas and want the edge to be 99/1 so I can skim the bones as close as possible without catching. Will be something I experiment with too though

I will let you know how it goes ...

I just don't like the 99/1 on the honesuki so I will change the edge geometry. If it doesn't work out it won't be a big deal. I just got a small double bevel deba that will handle the same jobs as the honesuki - at least that is what I hope. Tomorrow I will test my new little beast on a couple of chickens :D

Next little project will be new bevels on a Tojiro honesuki, maybe 70/30 - 60/40 instead of 99/1?

I've messed with the bevels on my Fujiwara honesuki for the last 1.5 years, and have settled on what looks to be a 75/25 ratio....it works great for all its intended tasks, and it is a great petty to boot. Turned out to be a very versatile little knife.

Back