Thread: Kiridashi

Kiridashi

Quick practice piece, and a Christmas present for father. A Kiridashi, made quite traditionally, Japanese Vanadium steel edge welded to mild steel. The Hollow on the back was shaped initially on a wheel the brought into the edge by hand with a course Wa stone. Really pleased with the look of the Ura, and the bevel. If you look closely you will see it is a compound bevel as in single bevel knives.

Thanks to Maxim for the Wa stones and pointers on the hollow back.

That looks really nice.

Very, very nice work

Is that a Takashima finishing stone?

Thanks all yes it is, from Maxim, been very useful to have around.

Here are a few more in progress for my shop. Laura is making these cute sheaths for them.

Here is a special one, with a piece of weapons grade iron found by my friend on the isle of Jersey. I was a little confused as it is from the german occupancy in the 2nd world war. I was confused as to why wrought iron was used on 2nd world war guns, but it turns out it is a piece of a french 155mm cannon from the 1st world war, pinched by the germans in the second world war and used as coastal defences. Either way its the cleanest iron I have ever worked, wish I had more to play with.

Will have some wonderful grain in it, a pleasure to work, not ground the piece yet, it will be for a neck carry, the edge is high tungsten/carbon, similar to blue 1.