Quantcast
Catcheside Cutlery - Picture Gallery - Page 11
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Picture Gallery

Will: what is advantage forged" hot dog style" compare to regular style??
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Takes a better forced mustard patina.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

No advantage in the end product, just a different technique to try

Bulldogs BIG feather gyuto in its natural environment. Many thanks for the pics Matt

You're welcome, Will.

I don't really know what i think is more beutiful. The knife or the beef....
    OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH how i miss the US beef

Wow that's a big one, beautiful! Will the damascus pattern affect how the patina develops?

Good question. It depends on the steels used. In this case the shiny nickel steel is marginally more resistant to patina, so you can get nice blue patina with the shiny bits still shiny. Ultimately they both patina and parts of the pattern start to be visually lost. My personal preference of quick fix to clean damascus up without abrading away the topography of the etch overly is the course side of leather up, stuck to a piece of wood, loaded with blue polishing compound. Very thin leather, like 1mm course side up works very well. This way when ever I give the edge a quick strop I can give the blade faces a quick strop as well if there is browning from onions. The thin leather works especially well and rapidly as it gets into the etch. Don't want to use thick leather as its not so good as a strop then and will round edges.
    Very fine micromesh, like 2000+ is good to polish the highs, but the leather works best to get into the etch and clean it without abrading the highs overly.
    Regards
    Will

First two of this batch of Feather damascus finished. A 230mm Suji and Ted's deep petty. Both customers choice in profile. These are a very fine feather pattern in 01/15n20. So fine there is no hardness difference between the 01 and the 15n20, it all tested as 01 at full hardness. tempered back to 61/62 hrc. There is a thicker band of 01 on the edge of the start billet, so we have more 01 on the edge, creates a very interesting effect with the pattern, hard to photograph though, but still here are some pics.
    230mm Suji - Feather damascus - W's damascus ferrule - Fire within endcap and Burl source BO.
    Still needs the tip working in and sharpening.

Ted's Petty 190mm - Catcheside Feather, bog Oak ferrule bronze and Burl source redwood.

More to come soon!