Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2331323334 LastLast

Thread: Catcheside Cutlery - Picture Gallery

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Another Suji, This one what turned out to be a very interesting experiment in grain and flow. Its a big 310mm Suji with a serpentine composition of damascus, high carbon edge and Blister iron spine, repeated etches and finer and finer polishing reveals the ultra fine pattern of the blister steel, flowing with the serpentine, also got some very interesting "reflections" in the edge steel on etching. The western handle is a little different and challenging also, I kept the lines crisp rather than rounding to match in with the narrow choil, really happy with the results, handle is in ironwood and damascus.

Uhhh... holy smokes that's INCREDIBLE!

Really beautiful work! And I wouldn't have even realized about the amount of belly if you hadn't mentioned it... WoW

Thanks man, yes it was largely corrected, knife got a bit narrower as a result and lost 10mm length, but it came good in the end Would be very cool to repeat the movement intentionally on a slicer or maybe a scimitar ! Was an interesting one for sure, always something to learn ..

The prettiest piece came out of your uggly hands, bro!!! Very, very impressive!!! Ufff. Can't stop watching on this display masterpiece!!! Hate you!! You make me want it... grrrrrrrr . Estimated price?? Scary??

I can't stop looking at this! Truely might be one of the most beautiful knives I have ever seen, easily in the top 5!!!

Thanks Chaps thats encouraging ha ha Andrey, I need a manicure... yes will be at the pricey end but not as much as the full composite pieces as there is less damascus...will price it up next week. Blade in the region of £40/cm plus handle time/materials.

Some of you will have seen my Instagram Work in progress on the Honyaki knives I've been making. catcheside_cutlery

Here are some finished shots of the Wa versions. I wanted to see if I could be happy with a simple very neatly done 400grit finish on these enhanced beneath the hamon with a light etch natural grit to highlight the beautiful activity. Combined with simple wa handles I think I achieved a very practical usable and easy to maintain Honyaki version, with a finish I'm really happy with, the scratch pattern clear and deliberate and the hamon activity still shows beautifully as you move it in the light I have an integral version near complete coming next. Would be interested to hear what people think. Im going to try an even more simple polish next with silicon carbide grit to polish below the hamon, then polishing down from the spine and overlapping with WA aluminium oxide powder, probably no etch even required then.

Little 175mm Petty

245mm Gyuto

In day light......

Quite a laser the Petty is...

Pure art! I hope to own one of your beauties someday...

For now thanks for the eye candy.

just stunning!

Aw thanks guys, the steel is sc125 by the way, not dissimilar to White 1, certainly a little more user friendly both for heat treatment and in a little higher toughness. Its a dream to forge too, The edge has that gorgeous buttery feeling to the cut you get with white 1 ...and nice on the stones.