New guy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsacco

Reaction score
Hey,
I am somewhat new to the forum. I've been lurking for some time. The information here is great and the custom knife makers here are making some impressive knives. I'll see you on some other threads soon.

Thanks,
Rob

Welcome Rob.
What are your interests in kitchen knives? Are you a pro chef or a skilled amateur? What is your current knife line up?

I've had a fascination with cooking since I was little. I am not a pro but I hope to be one day, I guess I am an aspiring pro while admiring the pros. For the longest time, I thought I was going to go to cooking school but I ended up in tech. My hope is that one day I work or become associated with the culinary world. I have a deep appreciation for food and the cultures and traditions that go into a meal.

I have been infatuated with kitchen equipment, tools, etc. Every store that I go into and it doesn't matter what type of store, I always look at the knives being sold...good or bad. I was taught early on that a good sharp knife is the only tool you need in the kitchen. I'd say over the few years, I've been searching for a good set of knives to replace the Henckels that my wife and I received at her wedding shower (over 7 years ago). Numerous times I almost bought other german knives or Shuns, but never did because I felt like I needed to learn more...which leads me to this forum. Over the last year or so, I've lurked and crawled the threads and learned enough to get me pointed in the right direction. I've watched all of your YouTube videos and 'sharpened' up my knife skills but I am still a ways off from most of you guys here. At this point, I currently own the following:

Edge Pro (Full Monty) thanks to Mark at CKTG
Devin Thomas 210mm ITK AEB-L
Zwilling Bob Kramer 8 inch carbon
Konosuke HD Wa-Gyuto 240mm (currently on its way to my house)
Tojiro DP 210mm Gyuto
Tojiro 210mm Shirogami Gyuto
Tojiro 130mm Petty
Henckels Cermax 6 inch Utility
Henckels Cermax 5 inch Utility
Fujiwara Kanefusa 180mm Santoku
Fujiwara Kanefusa 120mm Petty
Victorinox Fibrox 8inch Chef

I know I missed a few knives from my list but this is right about where I am in my collection. I have had an itch to move up from a 210mm Gyuto to a 240mm so I just ordered the Konosuke HD. Initially, I was pretty impressed with the Victorinox, after all I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated and watch all their shows on PBS so I had to get the knife after the raving review they gave it but the DT ITK has opened up a whole new world for me. I was also impressed with the Zwilling Kramer carbon too but the DT ITK is just plain awesome so I am hoping that the Konosuke HD 240 is just as fun.

Lastly, I am so impressed with the custom knife makers around here. I have reached out to most of you and requested to get on your wait lists. Not that any of you need my support but I am excited to own customs from you guys and support the local guys (local in the relative terms).

Thanks again,
Rob

Heh...looks like you're already pretty well started. ;-) Glad to have you here.

Back