Quantcast
Spirograph Nakiri WIP. - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Spirograph Nakiri WIP.

Mmmm mmm mmm. That knife is verrry nice
    Len

Len, Thank you, Your help and input on the grinds really made all the difference on this one! Its a laser by every definition I have ever seen. and Im really proud of it.. Grinding a blade this thin is a tricky son of a gun! Im gona grab a caliper and the Nakiri and post some measurements.

Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

That came out awesome Randy. Handle looks great, grind looks nice and thin!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

OK, Let me first say, This is the thinnest and sharpest knife I have ever ground!! Yep. Im really proud of this one, from the steel to the grind to the handles. Its just as perfect of a example of our work as any knife I have made!!! I hope this makes sense.. without sounding cocky or anything.. lol

I measured this one by first measuring the main things like OAL and Blade length, Handle and spine stuff.. Then I measured the blade at 3 points in the middle of the flats. Then again in the same 3 spots a smidge above the final bevels. First at heel, second near the midway point between the heel and tip, and finally just behind the tip.

OAL 14 1/6" : 385mm'
    Blade 8 1/4" : 210mm
    Handle 5" : 127mm at longest. 20mm thick : 24mm tapering to 27mm high.

Spine above the heel, then halfway between heel and edge, and then just above the edge. measured at heel midway then at tip.

2.2mm, 1.9mm, .81mm At spine
    1.6mm, 1.1mm, .70mm Mid way
    .33mm, .29mm, .24mm Above the cutting edge. Just for fun I took the edge measurement at the tip and converted it to inches.. Its ridiculous. lol .009" Thats CRAZY thin!! And thats above the sharpening bevel.

The handles are Stabilized Buckeye burl with copper pins and vulcanized spacers. Inspired by some of the handles that I seen in the Fish thread..

Thanks guys for your help on this.. and all the great comments. and input! This is a awesome forum!
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

This one is now available.. an listed on the web site, Spirograph Nakiri custom knife

Also I forgot to mention the blade height. got lost in all the other measuring! lol This one measures 55mm at the heel, tapering to 46mm 1 inch behind the tip.

Availible Knives

This is your best work yet!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

That is a special knife. Great work.

Thanks guys!

Availible Knives

WAIT A MINUTE!!!

$1200 and no free shipping? BAH!

Hermes, I was just typing a sale for KKF members, and seen your post Now no sale for you guys!!

Just kidding,

I want to show respect and appreciation to the members on this board. And also would LOVE to see this knife in the hands of one of you guys!! So heres "the deal" 10% off list and free shipping for all KKF members! Just post here "I GOTA HAVE THAT NAKIRI" and Ill shoot you a PM..

Play fair... No biting or kicking in the groin.. just the first one to post "I GOTA HAVE THAT NAKIRI" gets it!

Thanks again guys for encouraging me in the crazy obsession!!
    Randy

Availible Knives