Quantcast
Spirograph Nakiri WIP. - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spirograph Nakiri WIP.

The picture of c-dawg's nakiri shows the cutting bevel and the blade face bevels quite well IMO! Though not sure how much taper has been forged in to the top part

Shigefusa Nakiri
    It may just be personal preference but I like a more robust nakiri as I use it for a lot of tougher veg, kabocha squash, rutabaga, sweet potato etc

Whatever you come up with I'm sure will excel though, it's a case of finding what works for what you have

I don't know if that's the stock geometry, but it looks like it ought to cut nicely
    Len

That mirror bevel is SWEET!

Im ready to grind some bevels in this blade! Thanks guys for the input!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Made some progress on this today. I ground the main bevels and have the blade hand rubbed and etched ready for handles!!!

Thanks Len and everyone for the info and pics and stuff! Made a huge difference on the grind..

Here are a few pics of the progress.

Heres a shot of the tip, What ya think? thin enough???? Yea, I know my hands are dirty, I wouldnt want it any other way!! lol

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spirograph WIP Nakiri 006.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	450.2 KB 
ID:	3384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spirograph WIP Nakiri 005.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	465.2 KB 
ID:	3385  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spirograph WIP Nakiri 009.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	400.0 KB 
ID:	3386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spirograph WIP Nakiri 012.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	450.2 KB 
ID:	3387  

Name:	Spirograph WIP Nakiri 013.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	486.2 KB 
ID:	3388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spirograph WIP Nakiri 019.JPG 
Views:	226 
Size:	471.4 KB 
ID:	3389  

Name:	Spirograph WIP Nakiri 031.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	506.1 KB 
ID:	3390  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

absol-freakin'-awesome!

Now I just gota figure out my handle materials. and layout. Im thinking something subtle. or at least subtle for me.

Availible Knives

I think this thing is gonna be a niiiiice cutter
    Len

Len, I think your right!!!
    This is the craziest knife I have ever ground. I have a feeling that with the taper and bevels on this thing are gona make it one of the sharpest knives I have ever made!

Availible Knives

Iv spent the last couple hours in mind warp. looking at woods and handle materials trying to figure out a combination that works with this blade.

Im thinking Black G10 or horn for the furrel, and something subtle in figure and light in color like some of the Royal mahogany. OMG I just dont know..

heres my delema. The blade pattern is SO BOLD I want it to stand as the center point for the knife, So Subtle and plain handle seems the logical choice.. Yet, subtle and plain is so NOT WHAT I DO! lol.. Which is making this harder then it should be.. OK so here I go.. Im asking you guys for some suggestions.

Either a Dark handle with smallish light color furrel, Or a Light color handle with a dark/black furel? Or should I go supercutom, and use some of my sickest cocobolo burl and some ebony for the furrel?

Availible Knives

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

The customer left it up to you? I would let the spirograph stand out, but that's just my opinion.