Quantcast
Too Pretty?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Pretty?

Too Pretty?

Can a piece of wood be too pretty to use?

There have been a few times I have heard people say that a piece of wood they got was just too pretty to use and that they were just going to keep it as it is. Well......today that happened to me.

This piece of Koa is not for sale. I just thought it was so darned pretty I had to show off to you guys.

I should probably make a short video of this piece because the photos only hint at how nice this piece is.
    I almost didn't buy this batch of Koa because it was old pieces cut about 3/4" thick. But the guy I got it from told me that it would be something I would want. Glad I trusted his judgement.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Whoa, I don't even really like koa and that is stunning.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

How much???? Drooooool.....

Quote Originally Posted by bcrano View Post
    How much???? Drooooool.....
    I'm not selling this piece.
    I think I will use it as an example to show new suppliers when they ask what I am looking for.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Amazing!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Can I ask you: What would be a appropriate BF price for that quality if you buy something like this? Just in case I ever come across pieces like that...

Stefan

That is spectacular. It would be a shame not to use it. But it would have to be the right knife.

That is way nice. Amazing wood.

I am reluctantly with you on not selling it (for now), but I would think of it another way: Think of it as a block of wood waiting for the perfect piece. If Paul Bocuse or Thomas Keller wanted to rehandle their knives and needed that koa, would you let it go? Or what if a really good charity situation came along?

Anyhow, those things might (or likely will) not happen, but thinking in that way seems to make the wood even more special. And anyhow, isn't it more fun to think of how you would use such a piece of wood than how are you are not going to use it -- even if you will probably not sell it ever?

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

you just had to go and show me that