New years knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
What are you guys doing for new years? Sara and I are heading up to Yosemite to visit my grandpa... i'm trying to decide which knives to bring with me for cooking (of course i have to travel with knives ;) ). Are you going somewhere? If so, are you bringing knives or stones with you?

I will be eating with friends. I have to bring knives about every time I leave the house, I always get asked to cut stuff. I was asked to cut cheese slices on Christmas eve.

I'll bring my shig probably. When traveling, I bring the cck 1303 and an idahone rod.

Heading to a friend's for a house party. Not sure what's going on there for food, but generally he's already got everything prepped. Will probably bring a little Takeda bunko banno with me just in case ... pretty much because that's what I already brought out for dinner at another friend's house for Christmas Eve :)

I'll Be prepping and cooking for our business's new years eve dinner. The heiji and mizuno gyutos are mirror polished an d ready for the onslaught!!!

Still a ralative newbie to sharpening, but did not stop my father from wanting me to bring all my stones down for Christmas. He just has a bunch of Wustoffs and others, but able to get them a whole lot better than his usual pull through thingie.

Friends house for dinner party

Got everything lined up, will be taking by nice new Suisin yanagiba to prepare the sushi. After that its a Allen Brothers wellington.

Got the drinks lined up in order

NV Krug
2008 Shafer Relentless
2000 Shafer Hillside Select Cab
2000 Grahams with the cheese

Cant wait, its a special night that we plan for months !!!

Prime rib and Cab Sav at our house, followed by dessert and ice wine. It's a NYE tradition for my wife and I.

We also start the year off with beans and greens for good luck, this year it's white bean and greens soup with ham hock-a Cajun/German specialty.

Was at my mother in laws all she had in her kitchen was a three inch serrated knife from the 70s. I had to buy her something... Best I could do in their area was a Wustof classic. Better than nothing.

Planning to roast a duck and serve it with cream of mushroom gravy over spaatzle. Powder steel san mai gyuto is my go to knife at the moment.

M

I will be at the restaurant cooking it up I guess.

so you still use knives at the restaurant last time i checked :p

Well said.

I'll be on the line as well. For prep time I use my Moritaka 270 Gyuto and 255 Monazburo Kiritsuke. For the line I have my Calphalon Katana series petty, or my KAI wasabi 210 deba, probably both.

I'll be at the restaurant. Tomorrow is my day off and I'll be sharpening the: Hiro 300 Wa and TKC 270 Gyuto's, Harner Blue Jean handled slicer, Nenox G Honesuki, and Hiro 180 petty.

I'll be camping in Tasmania with my little carbon Opinel folder and most likely my dojo AS nakiri.

I'll be stuck at work but in good company with my 240 gesshin hide kasumi gyuto, kono white 210 petty, Kono HD 240 gyuto, yoshihiro 195 blue 2 hon deba and Suisin 300 shiro-niko yanagiba.

Just got back from a week long holidays. I brought along yoshihiro white steel yanagi, ichimonji kichikuni white steel deba, kanemasa e-series suji, aritsugu a-type kiritsuke, and a little sabatier oyster knife. Somehow I have managed to use them all:
- used yanagi and deba on a nice 2.8kg yellow tail king fish for sashimi and other dishes;
- deba was also on duty halving/butterflying chicken through rib cage for bbq;
- suji handled bread and roast slicing;
- a-type for almost everything else;
- and of course, oyster knife for oysters.

Some feasts (King fish and local far south coast Sydney rock oysters), at holidays house, for seven :

img1757a.jpg

img1762yx.jpg

img1747b.jpg

I just got back from a Texax-Louisiana swing. I didn't cook much of anything but I take take along a Gesshin 400. I sharpened a bunch of Henckels, Cutcos and miscellaneous old stainless knives. I left a lot of wire-ish edges but they cut fine. :O

We are hosting a NYE party tonight, and I just used my Fujiwara FKM honesuki to cut up 3 racks of ribs this morning for my gf to get into the crock pot...and it flew through all like butter and the edge was still on point ready for a lot more after I was finished.

I usually keep the edge at 1200 grit, but stropped last night on my Chosera 600 to rough it up a bit and it was perfect for the job at hand. Effing love this honesuki.

Mmhh, I wanted to cook a few things tonight but then never got around to it. I decided to lay low and stay at home, so my knife use was limited to the Guede bread knife to slice the baguette and a butter knife for the truffle pate and the butter for a few canapees. After that, I was too full for the scallops ormsteak... Oh, and I prepared some sauerkraut with Canadian bacon and bratwurst using a Carter funayuki. Considering what I am actually doing with them, I have about 30 knives too many...

Stefan

I tend to travel w/ three knives when the clan gathers on the left coast: kono 240 HD for almost everything, an oyster knife, and a Mac bread knife because the hard crusted breads just don't go down w/o a fight when I use the konosuke.

I just got back from a Texax-Louisiana swing. I didn't cook much of anything but I take take along a Gesshin 400. I sharpened a bunch of Henckels, Cutcos and miscellaneous old stainless knives. I left a lot of wire-ish edges but they cut fine. :O

For shame!

Back