Quantcast
Filet knife. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filet knife.

Top notch, Randy!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I wanted to add a couple pics of the spine shot and tip. Yea, Im proud of this one.

Thanks again guys for the encouraging comments. and checking out our stuff!!
    Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tip 005.JPG‎
Views:	24
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	3353   Click image for larger version

Name:	tip 009.jpg‎
Views:	19
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	3354  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

Do you need to do anything differently when grinding a knife this thin to combat the flex? I can imagine it adds a lot to the complexity

Randy...that is amazing!!! I honestly think when i get my knife from you...I want a filet knife...I am in love with this one!!! Fantastic job!

Thanks Mike, Ill be happy to make you one!! let me know when your ready..

TB., yes it does take a little more fineness and attention to grind a thin blade like this. One wrong move.. and its scrapped! (dont ask me how I know this)

The flex and overall thin section of steel presents many challenges.. Overheating is probably the biggest problem most will encounter when grinding a filet blade.. Also getting the Temper on the blade where it will have a the right amount of spring and flex, without being to soft to take set when bent, and still hard enough to keep a good edge takes some testing..

Thanks again for checking out the knife, and for the kind words and encouragement!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

+ Reply to Thread