Quantcast
First Board! - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Board!

Mineral oil is easy to source at any decent pharmacy. I found mine in the laxative section. Make sure it's the food safe/USP version though.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinCB View Post
    Mineral oil is easy to source at any decent pharmacy. I found mine in the laxative section. Make sure it's the food safe/USP version though.
    Or hardware store.

I just get mine at Walgreens. I also use Dave's board butter.

If you've got an Ikea nearby, their price for mineral oil is pretty good. Otherwise I've gotten good deals from HomeSense, but I don't know if these guys exist in the United States.
    Len

A little off subject (but not realy), but what do you think about the Jojoba oil? It's thin and absorbs easily, does not go rancid, and is a liquid wax, not a true oil. Has great moisturizing properties, food safe. Any thoughts?

What is the ratio of beewax and mineral oil to use for best result? Thanks

I used 1oz of beeswax and 8oz of mineral oil to make my wax and it came out pretty good.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

Thanks! I'll try that.

How about walnut oil? That should dry properly (unlike vegetable olis which never really dry). You could consider food grade flax/linseed oil too, which I believe also drys properly (but slowly). I've been using walnut oil on wooden items recently and I like it.

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Personally, I wouldn't use flax seed oil. It is just one step away from paint and needs about 30 days to properly dry and outgas. Even after 30 or more days, the paint smell will linger. Rather then use flax seed oil I would use a butcher block oil made primarily for cutting boards. That still requires several days to dry thoroughly and outgas enough to make it usable. Either are considered film finishes and stay on the surface of the wood primarily and may flake off during use.

I haven't used walnut oil but I know a lot of people do. Since it is an organic material, I will not recommend it as a substitute for mineral oil and since it is made from nuts, it might lead to a reaction in those people with nut allergies. I know from experience it only takes a miniscule amount of nut oil to start an allergic reaction.

+ Reply to Thread