Quantcast
First Board!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Board!

First Board!

Got the Maple Carolina Slab for Christmas! It arrived at my house over a month ago, but I was barred from using it until the 25th! It's a beautiful board! Very nice pattern (in the wood), heavy, and looks great.

Unfortunately being the new guy to high quality boards, I didn't season before using.

Does anybody know where I can get the right USP food safe Mineral Oil? For whatever reason I can only find the typical cleaning oil.

Available at your local pharmacy. I have CVS brand mineral oil that is used for laxatives.

I got my last bottle at an Ace hardware store.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I use the beeswax/mineral oil mix from Dave Martell.

Dave's board butter stuff is made from beeswax that comes via the local Amish folks there in PA. Pretty freaking sweet if you ask me.

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    My mineral oil comes from Texas and the bees wax from the foothills of North Carolina. Mineral oilm is available in most any drug store in the laxitive section and at many grocery stores that have a pharmacy. The label will read USP or Laxitive. Don't worry about getting the wrong stuff, it is usually colored red and sold as either transmision fluid or hydraulic oil.

Thanks for all the help.

Somehow I completely forgot that it is used as a laxative! I was at the pharmacy today, dang!

Dave, I've been reading a lot about seasoning from here and on your FAQ. Am I okay just using mineral oil for now? Also, I looked in the basement for it and we had it, but it was not USP and it was clear!

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    As long as the label reads "USP" or "Laxitive" you will be okay. But, if it has been left in the basement for a period of time, I would obtain a fresh bottle from a local drug or grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
    As long as the label reads "USP" or "Laxitive" you will be okay. But, if it has been left in the basement for a period of time, I would obtain a fresh bottle from a local drug or grocery store.
    Whoops, I meant, just using mineral oil and not the oil and butter.

I got my second board today A 12x18" mahogny that I intends to use for proteins mainly. My first board (16x22) is a tad too cumbersome to rinse of in the sink so the new board will be a perfect complement.

+ Reply to Thread