Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Board!

I don't have a board smith (yet) but my standard procedure for new wood boards is to keep applying mineral oil until it stops soaking in, then use a homemade beeswax and mineral oil mix for maintenance. If you wax early on it can form a layer on the surface stopping the oil from seeping in. I'd listen to what the board smith himself says for his products though, oh and congrats on the new board

Any idea how much oil I'll need? I've been oiling it 3-4 times a week for 2 weeks and it's still not saturated! Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by ColinCB View Post
    Any idea how much oil I'll need? I've been oiling it 3-4 times a week for 2 weeks and it's still not saturated! Am I missing something here?
    Its not so much the number of times that yu apply but how much you apply each time..... Flooding or pools of oil tells you that it can't absorb any more. IF it is really dry.. it will be like quick sand.. oil disappears. That is your gauge...

a) I would literally squirt or pour mineral oil and spread it over with bare hands. IF the board is thirsty.. it will literally soak it up. What you want ot see is that the surface layer IS NOT flooded, then it can consume more! Even if it is flooded.. it will only be for a few minutes.. ON new boards I wld keep on applying after every 20 min or so adn leave alone. WHEn it is still dry, I will add more. TEH time the board floods easily.. it has enough! DO this to both sides..

b) there after, I would wld apply bees wax and mineral oil as it leaves a layer of protection (wax) BEes wax with mineral oil is not penetrative enough.

Have fun..

rgds

DL

I was doing multiple applications as I heard that even with a thick board, they can still possibly warp.

At this point, it's definitely still dry. Guess it's back to the board! Maybe this time with a sponge.

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Cutting boards need only enough oil to coat their surfaces, they do not need to be completely saturated from top to bottom. When the area most used starts looking lighter in color than the surrounding area, it is then time to oil. On occasion, oil the bottom and sides as well to keep the oil layer even in the wood.

Ask Ryan, you can oil a board to much. When the temperature rises or the board comes into direct contact with sunlight, the oil will seep to the surface and look like it is sweating. Over a period of years you might be able to saturate the board completely but not in two or three weeks.

The application of oil is intended to be a moisture barrier of sorts. You can't stop all the moisture from being absorbed but you can slow it down somewhat. Warping comes from a prolonged exposure to water in a specific spot or area. The water swells the wood fibers and starts the warping. The best defense against warping is to keep the board dry. The second best defense is to oil.

Enjoy using the board.

Engorged Member
    Once an hour for a day, once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year...

Thanks a lot for all of the information! It's definitely awesome to use!

Do Dave's board come with a spot of oil by chance?

I believe Dave oils them just a bit before they ship out, but other than that, you need to go out and buy the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinCB View Post
    I believe Dave oils them just a bit before they ship out, but other than that, you need to go out and buy the oil.
    x2. And you can by board wax from him, but I don't believe he sells the straight-up mineral oil.