Quantcast
To fill or not to fill
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To fill or not to fill

To fill or not to fill

So I have been grinding on this piece of ironwood for awhile, and I am almost done. What started as a pretty non-descript chunk of wood has blossomed into a really beautiful piece. It is however kinda rustic with several small cracks and voids. I kinda dig the natural look, but I would like to hear what ya'all have to think. CA glue or natural?
    Thanks Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0902.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	3360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	3361  

Fill. It wont take away from the look. Some of this voids might be deep and lead to small cracks and checks. Filling reinforces the block and prevents water from getting deep into wood.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Hi Marko, How do you deal with the little shiney spots from the CA glue?
    Thanks

I struggle a little bit with this situation myself. While I like the high level finish, I also like the natural textures of the wood. I don't know which way to go most times, and go both ways sometimes. No help from me!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by mhenry View Post
    Hi Marko, How do you deal with the little shiney spots from the CA glue?
    Thanks
    Once you polish the handle, they are barely visible. People really have to look for them to see them, while they will notice voids right away and probably will ask you about them. I use very low viscosity CA glue so it gets all the way to the bottom of the void and sometimes seeps through, if the void is close to the end.

M

fill.

I agree with Marko

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I was going to create a thread for something related...I hope Mike does not mind a piggy back question.

What type of CA glue have you found to work the best for filling? Different for voids and cracks?

I use super thin CA glue, similar to this one
    http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Inst...220505&sr=8-12

I got it with intention to use it on snakewood (read some horror stories about snakewood cracking or checking if freshly machined end-grain is left unsealed with CA glue immediately), and ended up using it on everything. Medium CA glue would be good to fill shallow voids, while thin CA glue would be good to get it into checks and deep voids. I think one can find use for both. A pleasant surprise was to find out that a thin CA glue won't dry up even if you leave it uncapped for some time.

M

Beautiful handle!! I would fill them. Like Mark, start with ultra thin and then the deep or large voids, I use a medium/gap fill CA on top of the thin.

Kaleb, CA glue is CA glue and almost all of it is the same with a slightly different label. I have purchased from at least 3 suppliers and they all were from the same supply house with a sticker on the label to identify the supplier I purchased from. Hope that makes sense. The thin stuff works best for cracks and the medium or thick for larger fixes.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives