Quantcast
Another Which Knife Question: The Carbon Edition - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Which Knife Question: The Carbon Edition

Thanks for the third option Mr Stefano! That is a good price for blue steel.

I'm also considering going in the opposite direction and trying to save some money. What do you guys know/feel about the Masahiro VC? Someone told me it might be SK-4 but I'm not sure thats true. Also that price is pretty dang awesome. How does it compare to the Masamoto HC?

Oops, got so caught up in looking at the misono and the masamoto I forgot that I had already asked about the Masahiro. Lol

I read third time maybe about the huge reactivity of the Misono, and Im thinking to myself, did i bought wrong swedish ?? I mean, I have carbon parer that gets all the shite jobs in pro environment and it never really got stinkey... Dude working with me have 240 chefs and the edge profile is a winner for me, very very cool, its also crazy thin behind the edge, handle is nice and big and very well fitted.

If you want to save some money, go for the Kanefusa SK4 line, I was thinking of it long time, finally bought a petty and for 40 bucks its best deal ever. Gets crazy sharp easily and altough it will stink for a month or so it never discolorated my onion, from new i just bashed mustard on it straight away.

I've not noticed any difference in reactivity in sk4 vs white no.2. if you like the performance of the HD why not consider the Sakai Yusuke in white no.2 I know it's not a thicker knife but it seems to be an excellent value.

IME, the Masahiro VC is sharper than the Misono and a little bit less reactive too. The Misono has a very narrow blade with very pointy (Somewhat delicate) spear-tip. The Masahiro, like the Masamoto, has a more rounded, sturdy, sheeps-foot-shaped tip and is also somewhat wider.

The other main difference is the Masahiro has a larger, blockier pakkawood handle.

I found that the Misono and Masahiro are both more reactive than the Masamoto HC.

The Sakai Yusuke in White#2 is also a fantastic knife. I have the Wa version which is super-thin. The Yo version will be slightly less thin and has the best fit and finish of any carbon knife. Well worth consideration.

PS: the Masahiro Virgin Carbon is def not SK-4. My feeling is that it is something fairly close to the HC which BDL claims is Takefu V2C.

Is it totally my imagination or does Masahiro not seem to attract much love and attention on these forums? Is it too close to the Masamoto?

I can definitely look into Sakai Yusuke, but I had heard that they are so similar to konosuke that I wouldn't feel like I was really branching out much. Every profile and choil shot I've seen on the Masamoto seems about what I'm looking for--though I'm having trouble finding enough images to compare the Masahiro. I guess what I'm really trying to find out is where the $70 difference between the knives comes into play--superior taper? Noticeably superior edge characteristics?

Has anyone used Susin's Virgin Carbon (on korin) gyuto? I used their petty version and love it. Inexpensive and it takes a nice edge.

Right on all counts.

The Yusuke is very similar to the Konosuke.

The extra $$ for the Masamoto goes into the grind and the steel (or noticeably superior edge characteristics, imo). It would probably also have to be said that a little $ also goes into the Masamoto brand.