Quantcast
Butcher Knife Set - KKF Member Project - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Butcher Knife Set - KKF Member Project

I wasn't sure at first but I'm really starting to think that this is do-able. I'm sure it's not a huge market but why not do something different, could be fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    We have already spoke about this Dave, but I thought I would throw my thoughts out -
    Is the goal here to create a set of knives to really disassemble a carcass? Or are we creating a homage to this style of cutlery that has a practical use for the average (whatever that is) member?

If the latter, I really want a gently curving scimitar at no more than 8 inches of cutting length, mostly for trimming my briskets and clods, breaking down pork shoulders ect.. I will not be working from a rail on a hanging carcasses with this knife.

If it's the former, then thats all good also, I would just prefer a knife I actually have a use for.
    I dont think the goal was ever to create a set to break down a full steer. Frankly, I am not sure what that requires. If these work for that, then great. I think the goal was to make some knives that are traditionally western and hard to find manufactured with quality steel. At least for pro's, having a western boning knife and scimitar not made out of soft german steel would be great. I deal for me would be something like a ~7" boning knife, 10-12" scimitar.

Dave is this going down or what? I need some Dave steel for the box

All I need to do is to get some drawings and then see what you guys think and then it can happen just like that.

OK here's what I'm narrowing it down to based on what's been expressed here as well as what I think is feasible to do to start off with....

1. Small butcher knife (clip point) - 5"-7" blade

2. Large butcher knife (clip point) - 12" blade

3. Small Scimitar - 5"-7" blade

4. Long Scimitar - 12"-14" blade

5. Western boning knife 5"-7" blade

I'm thinking of picking 2 to 3 of these choices for the first round. Carbon steel of course.
    Last edited by Dave Martell; 04-23-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Fixing numbering screw up - thanks John!

You have two #3's.

Renumbering them, I vote #5 (7"), and either a #2 or #4 (12")

At least #3 perhaps a #1 also.

yea dave you can put me down for a number 4, hahahaha I can see the animals and primals weeping at the sight

I'm in for a #4 as well. Want to play with cutting my own NY strips, etc. at some point down the road.

Dave, I'm most interested in a #4 and #5 with a matching rustic leather roll from www.leather-worker.com, if possible.

Then, I can pretend I'm Bill the Butcher.