Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, another stupid newbie question about knife profiles and techniques

OK, i get it now.

Ill try it tonite on some mint

I have not used rocking technique (which is the traditional 'tip on board' choo-choo train rocking motion that most European knives are made for) for anything since getting into Japanese knives. People always mention that they need to use one for herbs, but for me a good ole' push cut does the job great like it does for everything else...just have to get used to it.

And when I say push/pull cut, I personally refer to down with slight forward or backward movement.

1. Grab the knife, and put the heel in contact with the board.
    2. Lift the handle up, but keep the edge in contact with the board at all times.
    3. Lift until only the tip area of the knife is touching the board.
    4. Lower the handle in the reverse fashion, the edge is always in contact with the board.

That is a rocking motion.

I also use the forward thrust cut for most veggies. like any technique it just takes a little practice.

Edit,

I also tend to use the the middle to heel of the knife for this.

the first thing i do with a knife is flatten the heel, and then thin, so i don't suggest rocking. it's a wasteful motion, imo. i typically chop with just a small forwards or backwards motion applied to a push cut. the forwards and backwards motion is just enough to help set up the next cut.

Think of it like the action of a locomotive wheel. How the bar connecting the wheel works.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Think of it like the action of a locomotive wheel. How the bar connecting the wheel works.
    That is exactly how I've always thought about it too, but you vocalized it better...looks like I spent too much time with my little cousins over the holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    choo-choo train rocking motion.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    the first thing i do with a knife is flatten the heel, and then thin, so i don't suggest rocking. it's a wasteful motion, imo. .
    +1 ... im a push cut convert about 2 years ago, took about 6-8 months to get fast and consistent at it but the amount of product you can cut in a short amount of time if you can push cut efficiently is rewarding. the pull cut is the same motion IMO just bakwards, i use it as per salty's recomendations too. i think the learning of the push cut also lends to being more efficient and technical with the downward chop if your using a square blade (usuba or nakirii) or heel... shaving or julliane onions en mass as an example.

-J