Quantcast
Broken sauce - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken sauce

I missed the one hour forty minutes - was reading on my phone. That's a long time.

I used a recipe from Patricia Wells' Bistro Cooking successfully. Just take it easy on the nutmeg.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Betty Crocker, while and excellent source of some culinary knowledge, may not have been the leading authority on Mornay sauces.

-AJ

Thanks, Eamon. While the milk was not fat-full, there was quite a bit from the cheddar and the double cream gouda. I also did add some white wine before the flour.
    Every recipe that I find on the net seems to be really close to what I did.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Even full-fat milk is only 3.5-4%. I buy Heavy whipping cream that is 33% milkfat.

The fat in the cheese is busy dealing with the enzymes in the cheese that make it into cheese, so there's not enough to go around.

I know it often seems impossible, but I've baked mac and cheese with cheddar and heavy cream, and it didn't chunk up at all. Plenty of fat to keep things smooth.

As far as recipes on the internet--I've learned in my time catering that about 80% of people on the internet are either very happy with terrible food, or just don't know better.

I'll defer to the pros about the food science, but my gut says Eamon is on to something. Most of my scalloped or au gratin potato recipes have heavy whipping cream. My current favorite has 1 3/4 C of whole milk and 1 3/4 C heavy whipping cream. Here is the recipe I use and it always comes out great -- but it isn't au gratin.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I can't find the original recipe with quantities/baking time, but for potatoes gratin:

rub the bottom of a casserole with butter.

Repeat the following layers until you're happy:

thinly sliced garlic to taste
    sliced potatoes (soak the potato slices in cold water while you're prepping the other ingredients)
    pour several Tbsp whipping cream over potatoes
    salt, pepper, nutmeg (optional)
    Shredded parmegiano reggiano
    Dabs of butter

Bake in a 350-375 oven until bubbly, potatoes are tender and cheese starts to brown. I like to use a shorter pan with larger area to get as much of the browned cheese topping as possible.

IMO, you can't have too much cream and cheese. I like 'em juicy. Eat this too often and you will die. But you will die happy.

Sorry to hear about your troubles spike. Really interesting thread though.

The problem here is that I don't want to load more fat into this than is there already.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Adding more fat is not going to prevent your cheddar from turning to glop when it boils. Cheddar is not parmesan.

What cheese would you recommend?
    Spike C
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread